Question Top mounting an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240mm

Mar 28, 2022
Hello to everyone one, I'm looking for a case in which I can top mount an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240mm without it hitting the ram modules(G.Skill trident z neo). As I've seen so far my options are
  1. Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
  2. Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX
  3. Phanteks Eclipse P400A
  4. Corsair 4000D Airflow

Hi John(y)and Welcome to the Forum :D

AIO Water coolers do not encroach on the RAM modules and easy to install.
It is the big ugly bulky AIR coolers that restrict RAM height.

Choosing a CASE is very subjective depending on your needs, looks and functionality.
I myself have a corsair full tower and happy with the quality and price.
Lian Li are considered one of the best however you will pay a premium.

Look at the specs of the case and they should have a list of what AIOs will fit.

Reactions: Johnthenoob
I think the original poster was referring to the fact that the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 is much thicker than your typical AIO. His concern is not about the height of the RAM, but a top mounted radiator/fan will hang too low and overlap the end of the RAM slot and it's latch.

Yikes, I just noticed this thread is several weeks old!

Mar 28, 2022
I think the original poster was referring to the fact that the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 is much thicker than your typical AIO. His concern is not about the height of the RAM, but a top mounted radiator/fan will hang too low and overlap the end of the RAM slot and it's latch.

Yikes, I just noticed this thread is several weeks old!

Hi and thanks for the explanation. That's exactly my point. I still would like to know if the cases I gave on the original post are able to do what you wrote or if there are other options.

Apr 15, 2022
Hi and thanks for the explanation. That's exactly my point. I still would like to know if the cases I gave on the original post are able to do what you wrote or if there are other options.
Hello. The Phanteks Eclipse P400A can't top mount at all, AFAIK.
I would check out the Corsair 4000D series and the options on the Corsair webpage. I've seen that case in a store - it's pretty small, though. I consider all those cases a bit small. I would try to get a case that's a bit bigger for more options - and then it would be no problem to top mount any AIO up to 360.
But, if you want a smaller case like the ones you listed - I would look at the CM 500D Mesh - the Lian Li Mesh is a good case but it's probably geared towards air coolers although maybe a 240 would fit - on top, I dunno. Again, check the webpage for the case.
A little larger cases (P500A, P600S, Corsair 5000D for e.g.) makes it easier and more options.

Edit: I almost forgot. I should mention, the Arctic series of coolers have thicker rads than most - aren't they all around 38mm thick? 37 or 38? The typical rad of most other companies are 27mm thick - or width. That means that the case you use it with needs more space above the motherboard - in between the top of the motherboard and the top or roof of the case. It will be difficult to find one of those smaller mid-size cases with that much room for an Arctic Cooler AIO - I suspect.

Mar 28, 2022
Hello. The Phanteks Eclipse P400A can't top mount at all, AFAIK.
I would check out the Corsair 4000D series and the options on the Corsair webpage. I've seen that case in a store - it's pretty small, though. I consider all those cases a bit small. I would try to get a case that's a bit bigger for more options - and then it would be no problem to top mount any AIO up to 360.
But, if you want a smaller case like the ones you listed - I would look at the CM 500D Mesh - the Lian Li Mesh is a good case but it's probably geared towards air coolers although maybe a 240 would fit - on top, I dunno. Again, check the webpage for the case.
A little larger cases (P500A, P600S, Corsair 5000D for e.g.) makes it easier and more options.

Edit: I almost forgot. I should mention, the Arctic series of coolers have thicker rads than most - aren't they all around 38mm thick? 37 or 38? The typical rad of most other companies are 27mm thick - or width. That means that the case you use it with needs more space above the motherboard - in between the top of the motherboard and the top or roof of the case. It will be difficult to find one of those smaller mid-size cases with that much room for an Arctic Cooler AIO - I suspect.

Hi, the radiator measures 280mm length, 120mm wide and 40mm thick +25mm thickness fans total to 65 (280x120x65). most cases (like the one I currently own) are measured to top mount smaller radiators like you said. I prefer a smaller case to a big tower that's why I posted. The thing is that, it's a bit hard to exactly measure everything before I buy a new case. I just wanted to see if someone else dealt with the same "issue". I'll check the cases you suggested and thank you for the response.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's very rare for a 240mm rad to encroach on ram, most 240mm are either offset away from the ram or there's enough space above the tips of the ports to cover the distance. It's generally the 280mm that run into issues as their width negates any offsets.

There's also placement to consider, not all motherboards have ram slots at exactly the same height on the board, just because of that, some place the slots slightly lower, so ram height becomes less of an issue as it's under the rad/fans anyway.

According to the web posts, with a 280mm Arctic, on a 4000D there's 39.17mm of ram clearance. The Neo's are 44mm tall. With a 240mm, shouldn't be an issue even centered you'd have 49mm of clearance.

Just make sure you install the ram first, and pc works, before finalizing the rad installation. Or you'll be pulling it all apart again.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022
Hi, the radiator measures 280mm length, 120mm wide and 40mm thick +25mm thickness fans total to 65 (280x120x65). most cases (like the one I currently own) are measured to top mount smaller radiators like you said. I prefer a smaller case to a big tower that's why I posted. The thing is that, it's a bit hard to exactly measure everything before I buy a new case. I just wanted to see if someone else dealt with the same "issue". I'll check the cases you suggested and thank you for the response.
It's very rare for a 240mm rad to encroach on ram, most 240mm are either offset away from the ram or there's enough space above the tips of the ports to cover the distance. It's generally the 280mm that run into issues as their width negates any offsets.

There's also placement to consider, not all motherboards have ram slots at exactly the same height on the board, just because of that, some place the slots slightly lower, so ram height becomes less of an issue as it's under the rad/fans anyway.

According to the web posts, with a 280mm Arctic, on a 4000D there's 39.17mm of ram clearance. The Neo's are 44mm tall. With a 240mm, shouldn't be an issue even centered you'd have 49mm of clearance.

Just make sure you install the ram first, and pc works, before finalizing the rad installation. Or you'll be pulling it all apart again.
Good points, guys. I guess I've been looking at 280 and 360 AIOs for too long. :)