How To Top (not as obvious) mistakes made when selecting parts for a Custom PC.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
i think it's another good question actually, but no they are not obligated at all, because they manufacture them pre-determined for the packs. At the end of the manufacturing process they will have a QA area which has a multitude of different "breadboarded" systems in effect, where they plug in the RAM modules that were made to enter one pack, and test them. So anything beyond that is not their responsibility.

They have provided a manufacturing service, and because of how delicate that manufacturing process is, to guarantee anything else futher apart is far too difficult, so actually, they're way of guaranteeing that those modules DO work is to sell them in those tested packs, so in effect, they are actually doing hard work for us, we quite often just like to take that power into our own hands (usually) to save money!

I like to see it as, the manufacturer knows just how delicate the process is, and how easily tainted that process can become - even from dust - so to sell us any modules they make all as individuals would be both irresponsible and costly, so they do the extra work to ensure that the ones that go into a pack are compatible for us.

Reactions: brokeBuilder2019

brokeBuilder2019

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
i think it's another good question actually, but no they are not obligated at all, because they manufacture them pre-determined for the packs. At the end of the manufacturing process they will have a QA area which has a multitude of different "breadboarded" systems in effect, where they plug in the RAM modules that were made to enter one pack, and test them. So anything beyond that is not their responsibility.

They have provided a manufacturing service, and because of how delicate that manufacturing process is, to guarantee anything else futher apart is far too difficult, so actually, they're way of guaranteeing that those modules DO work is to sell them in those tested packs, so in effect, they are actually doing hard work for us, we quite often just like to take that power into our own hands (usually) to save money!

I like to see it as, the manufacturer knows just how delicate the process is, and how easily tainted that process can become - even from dust - so to sell us any modules they make all as individuals would be both irresponsible and costly for them when they don't work, so they do the extra work to ensure that the ones that go into a pack are compatible for us.

Yup, makes sense. I'm learning a lot on this forum. Thanks :)

Reactions: PC Tailor
Expecting a cheap motherboard or memory to overclock well. Power phases and memory timings are important.

Thinking you can fill all the PCIe slots. Cards take physical width and PCIe lanes. Depending on mode, some slots may be deactivated. As always RTFM before you buy unless you intend to only use 1 PCIe slot.

Buying a power supply with cables that are too short for your case. Easily fixable, but an annoyance.

Trying to fix an ATX power supply into a SFX case.

Trying to fit too much into a small case (mITX or smaller)

Inadequate airflow for high power components.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Expecting a cheap motherboard or memory to overclock well. Power phases and memory timings are important.

Thinking you can fill all the PCIe slots. Cards take physical width and PCIe lanes. Depending on mode, some slots may be deactivated. As always RTFM before you buy unless you intend to only use 1 PCIe slot.

Buying a power supply with cables that are too short for your case. Easily fixable, but an annoyance.

Trying to fix an ATX power supply into a SFX case.

Trying to fit too much into a small case (mITX or smaller)

Inadequate airflow for high power components.
I've added some elements from this into the guide :) good shout!

I think too many people actually overthink GPUs as well.

The main difference between GPUs of the same model (EX: RX5700 or RTX2080) are the blower and multi fan models.
I always opt for a multi fan model since they are generally quiet, but the blower models can help with case airflow.

Other than that, most blower models are alike. Most multi fan models are similar performing aswell.

No need to get the most expensive one unless you really want a quiet and good looking card.

Also, I think another point should be made to avoid really cheap motherboards if you can. But on the other hand, don't buy really expensive motherboards.

While going for a really cheap motherboard may be a good idea if on a budget, you shouldn't always go for the cheapest motherboard you can.
  • A lot of cheap m-ATX motherboards will only have 2 ram slots. If you already use 2 ram sticks and want to upgrade, you will have to remove your old ram in order to upgrade. This can end up costing more than buying a better motherboard originally.
  • Also, most cheaper motherboards will have fewer expansion slots. You may not be able to add as many SATA drives, m.2 SSD, or PCIe cards as you could with a better motherboard.
  • A cheap motherboard may limit a high-end CPUs performance. Pairing a high-end Ryzen or Intel CPU with the cheapest "compatable" motherboard may work in theory, but a cheap motherboards Voltage Regulation Modules (V.R.M) may not be designed to provide the power necessary for a top-tier CPU and may throttle CPU clock speed to prevent damage to the motherboard. Even if you aren't planning on buying a high-end CPU today, a budget motherboard may limit your CPU upgrade path if you want to upgrade later on.
Less important reasons to avoid cheap motherboards.
  • Even if the cheap motherboard has support for overclocking CPU and ram, it may not yield as good of an overclock as a higher-end motherboard.
  • A cheaper motherboard may get less priority for BIOS updates.

Buying an expensive motherboard generally is not an issue, but can be a waste of money on a budget system. Buying an expensive z or x series motherboard on locked CPU and slow ram is generally a waste of money as you could buy a cheaper motherboard and budget more to the rest of your system.
If you are buying a motherboard to be used in a top tier system or are planning to upgrade to higher-end hardware at some point, go for a pricy board with all of the features you want.

Another thing to mention: Just because a motherboard has the same socket as the CPU you are planning to use doesnt mean the combo will work. You need to make sure your CPU is on the supported list of any motherboard you want to buy and make sure the motherboard has a BIOS that supports your CPU.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Also, I think another point should be made to avoid really cheap motherboards if you can. But on the other hand, don't buy really expensive motherboards.
This bit is already covered in point 7 at the bottom - brief, but don't want to overload it for those reading. I'll definitely add some of the points you've mentioned :)

Another thing to mention: Just because a motherboard has the same socket as the CPU you are planning to use doesnt mean the combo will work. You need to make sure your CPU is on the supported list of any motherboard you want to buy and make sure the motherboard has a BIOS that supports your CPU.
This is also already mentioned and is the entire premise of point 2.

Excellent feedback my friend, thank you! Will consider adding some detail into the motherboard section.

TRENDING THREADS