Question Torn Between CPUs

meerkat11

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2014
First let me preface this with the fact that I will be running Win 10. Some of the software I want to carry over to my new system most likely won't work with Win 11. That automatically excludes the Intel 12th gen.

I also know there isn't really an upgrade path with any these CPUs and/or my other components.

That being said, I am debating the merits of the following CPUs:

i5-11600k, Ryzen 7 5700G and Ryen 7 5800X (as long as pricing holds)

Price PCIE IGP Power / Heat
i5-11600k 220 4 (partial) yes 125
R7 5700G 349 3 yes 65
R7 5800X 355 4 no 105

With the 11600k. it is a smokin' price right now but the main drawback for me is how much power it consumes and heat it generates. Less than the other 11th gen chips but still. It will cost me upwards of 25 bucks a year more to run than the 5700G so, over time the price gap will be come smaller. It also only has partial PCIE 4 support (which I will be taking advantage of with my Firecuda 520 M.2 SSD but nothing more)

The 5700G is a consideration because of the IGP, something I really like as a fall back option in case my GPU dies. I've actually had my GPU die before and having the IGP on my intel chip kept me running. Plus it is actually pretty powerful for an IGP (especially considering the 11600k). In this current era, getting a replacement could be very costly and time consuming so having that backup is nice insurance. Add to that it runs at about half the power of the intel chip and is much easier to cool. The only real drawback is it only runs PCIE 3 but how important is that realistically?

Last is the 5800X. It's at a good price right now and will be full PCIE 4 but has not IGP and only is 20% better of power consumption and heat.

I am leaning to the 5700G but am weary about buying AMD. As I said I do run older software I want to carry over but am unsure if it will be compatible with AMD and their included software which is much weaker than Intel's.

Questions you may ask:

• I will be running either a X570 or Z590 MB.
  • The GPU is kind of up in the air but the best I could probably do atm is an RTX 3060 ti. If I get the 5700G I might actually be able to wait 3-4 months until prices supposedly come down.
  • 32 gigs of 3200 RAM
  • I would like to run a 32" 1440p monitor but am unsure if the CPU/GPU combo will struggle.
  • I am a moderate gamer (i.e. I do play a lot of games but mainly strategy / single player, not really into FPSs)

So based on my needs what does everyone think about the best CPU for the job?

Also open to any other suggestions or if you have questions, please ask,

thanks for your help in advance.