Torn between ROG Swift & PB278Q

Lurr7

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
So, I finally finished my build and am looking for a good 27' 1440p monitor. I love the idea of gsync, because tearing frames / motion blur is definitely noticeable to me while gaming. At the same time, I also have problems with the viewing angles & color accuracy on TN panels - to me it's like a dead pixel that you notice that might never really be a "problem," but because you noticed it you can't unnotice it and your eyes get dragged to it if that makes sense.

The higher refresh rate and 1ms vs 5ms response time are also at issue here. Based on my build, at 1440p I don't think I'll really be pushing past 60 frames a second (if even hitting that) though, so my head is telling me that I should go for the PLS monitor (I spend about 25% of my time on my PC gaming, the rest spread between schoolwork, videos, and other tasks). Does a 144hz monitor perform better at 60fps than a 60hz will? I think the answer is no, but I just want to clarify. There's also a price gap, the PLS would be cheaper and I'm thinking all around better - except for that refresh rate. will I notice a difference between 1ms and 5ms? How badly?

I've got an i5 4690k, 8gb DDR3 @1600, and an EVGA SC GTX 970. No plans to SLI in the relatively near future, but maybe a year down the road or so.

Thanks in advance!

The faster monitor will only benefit you if your system can produce the framerates. Your rig should produce good fps in most games on high settings, even at 1440p. I would go with the ROG Swift as it will certainly benefit you when you upgrade to SLI in the future. All I have heard is good things. You won't notice 4ms gap change, but you will notice that the 144hz monitor is smoother, even in Windows. Unless you need supreme color accuracy for editing, I think its the better monitor.

Lurr7

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
pxio, it may be nearly 3, but it's still one of the very few 1440p monitors coming in as ips/pls that I'd actually trust.

If I can't tell a difference between 5ms and 1ms, then really, why TN except for future upgrade potential, or is gsync really that big of a change? I'd probably want a second 27 inch later on, so for the year I have a single 970 will I really push much past 60 FPS at that resolution? Thanks for the reply & input maestro, I'm just trying to see if it's worth the 150 or so extra for the upgrade =]