Question Toshiba 18TB HDD problem

Sep 12, 2024
I have a Toshiba 18TB hard drive, model number MG09ACA18TE. Recently, I found that it seems to be malfunctioning. Its capacity has been used up to about 90%, with only a little over 1TB of capacity remaining. I often encounter system freezes when reading files from it, and then the drive letter disappears. After restarting the computer, I can see the drive letter again, but the same issue occurs when I try to read some files again. I tried writing some files to the remaining space, and it worked fine.

Therefore, I suspect that there is a fault with the hard drive. I used Diskgenius to completely clear the sectors of the hard drive and then checked for any bad sectors, but there were no bad sectors found. So I wrote a program in Python to generate some 1.5GB files and write them to the hard drive. Initially, everything was fine, but when the hard drive was full and the last file prompted an error in Python, the drive letter disappeared again.

I am not sure if the hard drive has a hardware fault, and I do not want to continue using it to store my data. My hard drive is still under warranty, and I want to contact the manufacturer's after-sales service. However, I am not sure if they will be able to reproduce the issue once they receive the hard drive. If they only test for bad sectors using software like DiskGenius, they may not find the issue.

So what should I do now? Can anyone offer some advice?

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K
CPU cooler: unknown
Motherboard: Asus Prime B360
Ram: Kingston 16GB *4
SSD/HDD: Samsum EVO970 SSD 2TB/ Toshiba MG09ACA18TE/ 18TB
PSU: Golden Greatwall 650W
Chassis: unknown
Monitor: Samsum 27 inch 2K

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Mainboard: Asus Prime 360
Hard Drive:Toshiba MG09ACA18TE

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Its capacity has been used up to about 90%, with only a little over 1TB of capacity remaining.
You might want to see if increasing your empty drive space to 2TB helps.

Sep 12, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Mainboard: Asus Prime 360
Hard Drive:Toshiba MG09ACA18TE

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Its capacity has been used up to about 90%, with only a little over 1TB of capacity remaining.
You might want to see if increasing your empty drive space to 2TB helps.
The corresponding information has been added. You mean maybe because there's not enough space left? But I just read file from HDD, did not write, the drive letter disappeared also.

And why is 2TB? Does this number of capacity have any special significance?