Toshiba 2tb drive super slow until restart

Fabian_2

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
I have a one year old Toshiba DT01ACA200 2tb hard drive in my PC and when my PC is turned off for some time (haven't tested out how long that actually is but the shortest where I noticed this issue was 1h off time) the next time I start the PC the harddrive is super slow with only 0.3 mb/s average.
lQxv7b.png

Now when I restart my PC and run HD Tune I get "normal" values like this(not really normal, drive has some issues, already ordered a seagate barracuda but I don't know if the problem is software connected and will maybe also happen with the new harddrive)
kBxc08.png

It suspect something like a driver issue but I updated all my drivers.

To note is, that I have a different problem with my pc; I get random restarts every once in a while, which I traced back to a faulty PSU which I want to RMA but the company hasn't responded yet.(At least I think it is the PSU, could be the motherboard as well but I am definitely sure that it is not a problem like overheating or defective RAM i checked that thoroughly.)

The harddrive problem started after I tried to do a clean re-install of windows 10 as I first thought that the restart problem could be due to some software problems.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Solution
It's really unfortunate that you can't test the drive with another computer as this could've narrowed things down. Try updating or resetting your BIOS to see if that changes anything. Since you've mentioned that you've updated all your drivers, try rolling back a version for the chipset driver (if you're currently using the latest one), to see if that fixes things up.
Scan your drives for viruses with your antivirus program (with updated database), just to make sure that there are no threats.

If you think that it's the motherboard, you could get in touch with the manufacturer's customer support to see if the guys there have a solution.
Hey there, Fabian.

If you keep your chipset drivers up to date, I doubt that this has anything to do with a driver.
Since the HDD is having issues nonetheless, I'd recommend that you backup you important data as soon as possible (if you haven't done so already). After that go ahead and try the drive with a different SATA port and with different cables, to see if the issue still persists. It would be even better if you can try it with a different computer as well.
After you've backed up your data, go ahead and download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool (most manufacturers offer such tools for their drives, but if you can't find one on the website, just go wit ha 3rd party one). This way you'll be able to see if it passes the tests and the SMART data results.

A faulty PSU is no joke. If you think that it might be at fault, you can take it (or the whole system) to a computer service shop so that you can get it diagnosed and see if there are any other hardware problems.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Fabian_2

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
I have all of my important data, as well as windows on an SSD, so I don't fear losing data. I did try different cables and port but that didn't change anything, don't have another pc to try the drive out though. Diagnostic tool and SMART data didn't show any error.
Also to that now sometimes my pc will boot up normally and the disk speed will be low, then I restart my pc and I get an error message that I should go into bios settings and choose from where to boot, when I do that and choose the SSD pc boots up normally, normal disk speed. Sometimes also it will start to ask me right away at the first start to choose from where to boot and then the disk speed is normal without having to restart.
New HDD arrived but I haven't yet installed it, I am kind of scared that there is problem with the motherboard that could also damage the new drive.

It's really unfortunate that you can't test the drive with another computer as this could've narrowed things down. Try updating or resetting your BIOS to see if that changes anything. Since you've mentioned that you've updated all your drivers, try rolling back a version for the chipset driver (if you're currently using the latest one), to see if that fixes things up.
Scan your drives for viruses with your antivirus program (with updated database), just to make sure that there are no threats.

If you think that it's the motherboard, you could get in touch with the manufacturer's customer support to see if the guys there have a solution.

Solution