Toshiba 8-inch Encore Windows 8.1 Tablet Now for Pre-order

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
EDIT: Forgive my idiocy, I didn't proof-read the article before posting.
Just saw RT and let'er rip.

As soon as I saw Windows RT, the word "Flop" immediately entered my mind, left its children in my brain and pleasantly left - letting me know before-hand that this device is, quite firmly, going to flop.

Good Game RT.
You don't buy a device running Windows that can't run Windows programs - that's what it's known for and once you take away that core value it becomes almost worthless.

This is all coming from the owner of a crudload of PC's, Mac's, tablets, phones and one Surface RT.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
...And I made myself look like an ass when I realized it ISN'T windows RT.

FFFF..F.F..FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF*****************************

g-unit1111

Titan

I hear you, RT = epic fail. I would much rather have a tablet running full Windows 8.1. :lol:

deepblue08

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
I dont entirely agree that Windows RT is useless. Look at the Apple products, the OS is different on tablets and macbooks, and there is a reason for that. The tablet/phone version of OS is more lightweight and power efficient. Until ARM Cpus can match the power of desktop cpus I can understand the existence of mobile-like OS.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

This is a tablet running full Windows 8.1, not RT. There are 4 vendors who is going to release $300-$400 8" tablets running full Windows 8.1 using Intel Bay Trail Atom:

1. Dell
2. Toshiba
3. Acer
4. Lenovo

All of them will include full version of Office, microSD, microUSB and IPS panel. Some of them will include microHDMI.

Asus has a slightly larger model at 10" plus keyboard dock, selling slightly higher than the competition.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Add a full size USB port (3.0?) and microSDXC bluetooth with AAC aptX, Miracast, wireless charging, user replaceable battery and front facing speakers.
Then I would consider looking at it.

g-unit1111

Titan

It will be useless until app developers start utilizing it. But seeing as how Microsoft is the only company left standing that's still manufacturing Windows RT-based devices, it's kind of a moot point anymore.

This is a tablet running full Windows 8.1, not RT. There are 4 vendors who is going to release $300-$400 8" tablets running full Windows 8.1 using Intel Bay Trail Atom:

1. Dell
2. Toshiba
3. Acer
4. Lenovo

All of them will include full version of Office, microSD, microUSB and IPS panel. Some of them will include microHDMI.

Asus has a slightly larger model at 10" plus keyboard dock, selling slightly higher than the competition.

I've seen the Dell and Lenovo tablets and I'm heavily considering getting a Dell, but at this point I'm leaning more toward selling my iPad 2 and getting a first generation Surface Pro.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Seems a little underwhelming compared to the Dell Venue 8 Pro that sells for $30 cheaper. The Encore has nothing the Venue doesn't, but there is an active stylus available for the Venue and the Venue is lighter.

The Encore does use the Atom SKU that is technically capable of utilizing dual-channel RAM (unlike the Dell's Atom which is strictly limited to single-channel), but since it only has 2GB I doubt they're taking advantage of that. Plus there's the question of whether the memory bandwidth is even relevant at Bay Trail's level of performance.

Tablet User

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Ordered the Dell Venue 8 pro 64gb and waited for over a month. Dell doesn't know when they will ship but still has some expected delivery date on their order web site that they will never be able to meet to fool customers in ordering. Can you imagine Dell's follow up service if they can't even get their act together when you order?! I canceled my order and will likely go with Toshiba.

Status
Not open for further replies.