Toshiba Building World's Lightest 13-inch Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
i3 and up, 2 pounds, and new battery technology all sound very exciting.

I have a fairly new Toshiba T135 that is closer to 3 pounds, less processor power, but it is a great laptop for travel because it is relatively small and feels real light. I think lots of people that look at netbooks should buy one of these instead. (Toshiba, Lenovo and HP all make similar models.)

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Soon in near future: Laptop blown away by mild wind gust, broke; Owner sues maker[/citation]
User making funny comment on Tom's hardware causes reader to LOL too long gets sued

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]mianmian[/nom]I heard that SCiB battery has only 1/3 of the power density of regular lithium battery. Toshiba had made some magic?[/citation]

They aren't doing away with Lithium altogether, they are using a hybrid of both. One for quick charging, one for long life.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]i3 and up, 2 pounds, and new battery technology all sound very exciting.I have a fairly new Toshiba T135 that is closer to 3 pounds, less processor power, but it is a great laptop for travel because it is relatively small and feels real light. I think lots of people that look at netbooks should buy one of these instead. (Toshiba, Lenovo and HP all make similar models.)[/citation]

People buy netbooks because they are cheap, not because they are small. This won't won't be anywhere near the "netbook" market and won't appeal to the same crowd.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Yes I realize that some of the appeal to a netbook is its low price, and some people may actually like the tiny size. The T135 that I mentioned is not that much more money than a good netbook. This new Toshiba, with its better technology, will likely be pretty expensive.

There are a good number of 12" and 13" machines around that are very light and have good power. They are made for business travelers and are relatively expensive. This sounds like the market the new Toshiba is aiming at.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]People buy netbooks because they are cheap, not because they are small. This won't won't be anywhere near the "netbook" market and won't appeal to the same crowd.[/citation]

I beg to differ. I bought my 8.9" precisely because it's small, and I shudder at going back to full size such as 14" or 15". While sacrificing a load of performance, for me, the sheer portability makes it completely worth it.

G

I agree cakecake, I bought mine for pure portability. Price was a clincher.

Icehearted

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Soon in near future: Laptop blown away by mild wind gust, broke; Owner sues maker[/citation]
lol, sounds like a Perry Bible strip.

People buy netbooks, because, they are netbooks. The requirement of netbook owners is not something that runs into too much money. That's why company's thought of a netbook....... something that comes between an eBook and a Laptop.
Shit is also cheap.... that don't mean people buy it.......
By the way... the Toshiba does sound cool, will wait till it gets out though.....

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]cakecake[/nom]An idea: Make a dense SCiB for cars and make 10 minutes of filling petroleum with 10 minutes of charging a battery![/citation]

And when there's x times the capacity, it will take x times as long to charge!

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]sseyler[/nom]And when there's x times the capacity, it will take x times as long to charge![/citation]

If we're talking about capacity increased through energy density...

h2o_skiman

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010

Toshiba still has a ways to go. For viewers of Caprica, paper computers are used. Touch a section of the paper and text glows. The star of the show used a paper computer to send an e-mail to mother, folder the paper and threw it in a trash can.

Now that is lightweight.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sseyler[/nom]And when there's x times the capacity, it will take x times as long to charge![/citation]
Unless there are several batteries which can switch between serial and parallel connected so they can give lots of output over a single high powered connection, but when charging they individually recieve input to get the charge in separately and therefore quicker. The charging adapter could have multiple connectors to assign to each battery.

Not a difficult engineering principle, just complicated to get everyone using the same standard.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"People buy netbooks because they are cheap, not because they are small. This won't won't be anywhere near the "netbook" market and won't appeal to the same crowd."

Probably you should qualify your statement to: Smart people buy......

Forget not the Apple fanboys.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
CakeCake... do you have any idea how expensive that will be? Letalone that you will have a trunk full of battery, yet only be able to drive 5 miles before your out of charge of you run solely on them? If your going to do that just run capacitors... and fins out some way to dissipate all the wasted heat it causes. A slow charge on a battery that stays cool is the best option for people wanting "green" gadget cars. For the rest of us that want to go farther than t end of the block, we'll just grab something along the lines of a TDI, enjoy hybrid like city numbers, and 70MPG on the interstate loping along at 80MPH. Or drive a Corvette, they still do better than a Prius when you get going above 45mph. (gearing, torque > COD)

Status
Not open for further replies.