Question Toshiba C55-A5310 laptop no HDMI

Oct 19, 2020
Windows 10 Home, clean install. All updates installed, as well as the latest Intel driver for the graphics card.

There is no HDMI output, but VGA out works fine.

I'm not a tech. Is there an easy way to determine the cause of this? I don't see anything in the BIOS settings.

Windows 10 Home, clean install. All updates installed, as well as the latest Intel driver for the graphics card.

There is no HDMI output, but VGA out works fine.

I'm not a tech. Is there an easy way to determine the cause of this? I don't see anything in the BIOS settings.
Were the HDMI port and HDMI cable working before the Windows clean installation?
Did you installed the Intel graphics drivers or Windows update?

Oct 19, 2020
The laptop was given to me by the original owner. The owner had tried to reset the computer with no success. I don't know what the OS was. I was planning on doing a clean install of W10 from the start so I didn't care.

Cable and monitor are not the issue, I checked that using a different laptop.

I did all the Windows updates first, then went to Intel and let "Intel have it's way with it" (LOL) and downloaded the latest driver for the card and installed the updae. It's 15.xx.x now.

The owner had tried to reset the computer with no success. The owner had tried to reset the computer with no success.
Cable and monitor are not the issue, I checked that using a different laptop.
Have you asked the owner if the HDMI port was working?
I mentioned the HDMI port and HDMI cable...no monitor

I did all the Windows updates first, then went to Intel and let "Intel have it's way with it" (LOL) and downloaded the latest driver for the card and installed the updae. It's 15.xx.x now.
If the HDMI was previously working...then select the display adapter, click uninstall device from the Device Manager and remove all the drivers.
Reboot and allow Windows to install the drivers.
While in the Device Manager, check that all hardware drivers are installed.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020
The pevious owner has moved to Switzerland. Will send an email ask.

I can read. I know you only asked about the port and cable, but if the monitor decided to give it up, I would see the same video info... No picture.

So I provided extra information.

Where are the drivers usually installed, and will they be easily identified?

Oct 19, 2020
The previous owner used the computer very little over the last 4 years, and before then, only for viewing on a TV.

But she did say, it was a little "tempermental", whatever that means.

Jan 5, 2021
The pevious owner has moved to Switzerland. Will send an email ask.

I can read. I know you only asked about the port and cable, but if the monitor decided to give it up, I would see the same video info... No picture.

So I provided extra information.

Where are the drivers usually installed, and will they be easily identified?
You can get to device manager by pressing windows key + R, then typing in devmgmt.msc. Then you can just right click on your display adapter and update it. Windows will delete the old one when it does this.

Oct 19, 2020
It means it was unreliable at times.

"ultradumb"... I feel that way quite often, these days! LOL

Yea, I know it means unreliable, but nether word tells me what actions/indications the previous owner was seeing. That might be helpful. But my experience has been most users are unable to give me any truly useful info. "-(

Oct 19, 2020
You can get to device manager by pressing windows key + R, then typing in devmgmt.msc. Then you can just right click on your display adapter and update it. Windows will delete the old one when it does this.

Been there, done that. I did this after all the W10 updates were installed. There was no change after running Device Manager. The driver remained at 10.x.x,

Off to Intel, let them do the updating, and the driver is now 15.x.x. Still no joy in Mudville.

I don't feel comfortable with what the fan(s) are doing during bootup, so I'm going to take it to a shop and it opened and all the dust bunnies removed. And if it's not too much work, have them look close at the motherboard for any signs of overheating, or a cold solder jjoint and/or loose cable at the HDMI port itself.

Jan 5, 2021
Been there, done that. I did this after all the W10 updates were installed. There was no change after running Device Manager. The driver remained at 10.x.x,

Off to Intel, let them do the updating, and the driver is now 15.x.x. Still no joy in Mudville.

I don't feel comfortable with what the fan(s) are doing during bootup, so I'm going to take it to a shop and it opened and all the dust bunnies removed. And if it's not too much work, have them look close at the motherboard for any signs of overheating, or a cold solder jjoint and/or loose cable at the HDMI port itself.
seems like the best option

TRENDING THREADS