Toshiba Crams 1TB Into Your Pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow, That is amazing. Now the day we get SD, Micro SD and MS Pro duo at 1tb will the next step at compressing drives.

G

Nice, but how sensitive is the platters to damage from such as accidentally being dropped on a marble or ceramic tile floor?

With 1TB of storage, I'd much rather have USB 3.0 or eSATA to be able to transfer as much data as possible should the drive start showing any signs of dying.

where as with USB 2.0 you're basically screwed trying to get all that data off the drive before it stops working permanently.

[citation][nom]SAAIELLO[/nom]On a hardware level, Toshiba touts the 6-ounce Canvio as smaller than a postcard. The new line will also come in five colors: Liquid Blue, Komodo Green, Rocket Red, Raven Black, and Satin Silver. All five will be preloaded with Windows-based NTI Backup Now EZ software that features "extensive backup options, advanced restore functionalities, and an ability to overwrite specific original files." The drives are Windows 7, Vista, and XP compatible, and connect via a USB 2.0 port.0[/citation]
Hardware level? I don't consider size, colour, software, software and software to be on the hardware level.

NewJohnny

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I have replaced defective drives in residential and business computers for many years. Most dead desktop drives have been Maxtor by a long margin, even after Seagate bought them out. Distant 2nd goes to Samsung Spinpoint. The lowest amount of failures have been Western Digital.

The vast majority of dead laptop drives (95%) have been Toshiba. I would never, ever trust Toshiba with my data.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
The company also added that it reduced the physical size of the Canvio line by 25-percent while delivering a 35-percent reduction in total volume by using 100-percent recyclable materials.

NO. I don't care who you are but you don't reduce volume by using recycled materials. Errors like this really annoy me, especially in professional journalism.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
" its solution to ease consumer burdens of losing "digital memories" "

lol, it eases the burden by grouping the inevitable loss in to bigger, less frequent occurrences, no longer will you be burdened with loosing little bits of your digital memories all the time! now you can cram them all into one place, thus streamlining the loss in to one, catastrophic loss of everything all at once! kind of like being hit by a truck and getting amnesia, rather than suffering Alzheimers...

just kidding, I'm all for bigger drives, but for the love of god, as always remember to back everything up! with portable drives its not even really the risk of the drive failing, but Actually LOOSING it.

col_krismiss

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Uhm, I recently purchased (from newegg) a 1TB Passport and its smaller than my wallet and was $180, why is this one special? Even though I recently bought it I saw it on store shelves (here in afghanistan where it takes forever to get new merchandise like this) like 6 months ago. I have been using it for a while and its transfer speeds are the same as my full sized WD external (roughly 25-30 MB per second) Amazing drive. Also, I love toshiba laptops but their Hard drives are garbage. I bought my laptop shortly after deploying and a week after I got it the Hard drive failed, good thing I had a WD backup external...

rob_neff

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
You can give a user all the disc space they want but if they are relying on one drive to store all of their "memories" they are in for major disappointment. Lots of users don't "back up" their files to external drives, they MOVE them. Then when that drive fails, they lose everything.

The industry needs to do a better job of teaching end users how to properly backup and protect important files, not just create a bigger basket for all of their eggs.

$.02

col_krismiss

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
well, its only "one" drive if you dont count the one in the computer itself. And with a larger drives it opens up to be a backup drive AND can still hold extra stuff that isnt necessary to keep a backup copy of, like movies or any other digital media that you should have a hard copy on a cd or digital rights to download again in case you lose it.

It isnt the responsibility of HDD manufactures to teach people how to use their drives, just to supply them for whatever use they want.

rob_neff

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]col_krismiss[/nom]... It isnt the responsibility of HDD manufactures to teach people how to use their drives, just to supply them for whatever use they want.[/citation]

True enough for the drive manufacturers, but for the IT industry as a whole we would be serving ourselves and our users better if "we" did a better job of teaching people best practices. As more and more of our lives are converted to digital, storage and protection is absolutley critical.

I can see it now, sometime in the not too distant future, storage media will come with warning labels informing the consumer on how safe it is to store data on that product. "The IT General warns that use of of non-encrypted, external storage devices may cause loss of data, theft of identity or intelectual property.." Eeek! LOL

Then again, we're all forced to buy health insurance now, maybe they will pass a bill requiring us to buy a life-lock and Mozy account? Ugh.

jakalwarrior

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Because Toshiba laptop drives (Whats in there) have such a great track record for reliability ;) I can remember changing those things out every 6 months back in the day.
A fragile physical spinning drive that is small enough to be carried around, lost, or stolenm is definitely not the way to save your important memories forever.

col_krismiss

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
HAHA, and with more and more companies embracing this "cloud" idea we will be forced to back up our files to a drive we cant even physically access.

Status
Not open for further replies.