Toshiba: Glasses-Free 3D Notebooks this Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
3D != fad

People have been trying to kill it for decades, but it won't go away, and we're finally getting somewhat closer to it not being terribly annoying for most people.

dstigue

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
It's not a fad just no implementation has ever been ideal. I have and LG 3D Cinema display. Love it. I couldn't stand the Shutter glasses and just wanted the cheap polarized ones. Eventually glassless with few drawbacks will be here and everyone will bite.

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I have the nVidia 3D setup and I like it some games work really well and others are so, so. I think it’s here to stay but with glasses because they give the best experience right now.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
ASUS has also more recently announced an improved hardware revision G53 that will offer glasses-free 3D. Sorry Toshiba, but you got beat to the punch.

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I also have the Nvidia 3D Vision and I would say it's quite amazing but the cost is high due to the graphics horsepower required as well as 3D display costs.

I don't agree it's a gimmick but it's mostly for games vs. movies since movies converted to 3D are not so amazing. Playing any game in 3D even now is still always much funner than 2d and still makes me say WOW.

I would only buy a laptop with 3D if it had enough horsepower for games!

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
We will not stop until we get the hologram. And even after the hologram, we will try making the AI characters even more realistic...

G

I feel that glasses-free 3D is the future, but as others have said, it needs to improve its visual quality versus using the parallax shutter glasses. The alternative is that they find out how to make glasses-free 3D cheap, but who knows how long that will take or if it will ever happen.

As to the question asked at the end of the article, 3D is here to stay. Though I understand those that see it as a fad and could agree with them in the here and now sense, but I think they are using a different definition of fad from the one implicitly suggested in the article.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
3d on a laptop... really? And when they can't get battery life to stretch more than 2hours??? Seriously... I've purchased laptops that claim 5 to 8 hours. None have gone close to advertised and after about 6 months of use, the batteries usually half worn out. Don't give me BS features... give me better battery life.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I will be giving 3D (which I call stereo vision) all my thumbs up, but not my money till they bring me dual screen, actual dual screen, one for each eye, mounted in light enough glasses and usable in games with at least some compensation for head movement
http://www.silver-brook.com/images/pup-tilted-head.jpg
And by then the screen will be curbed, spherical in fact (or appear so through careful manipulation with proper lens), with the same center as the eye, so no need for eye movement compensation.
That is when I will go stereo ;)

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
p.s. the ;) emoticon is fun when associated with stereo vision, but tom's comment system ate the rest of my comment stating this exactly, because I put it in the form of a html comment tag/arrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.