Toshiba hard disk utility

ben979

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hello,

I have Toshiba Portable 1TB 2.5" HDD Hard Disk. Recently it stopped working after my machine restarted when the hard disk was in working state. So my windows PC was not able to find it connected. It was always asking to format the disk. So i formatted the disk and started recovering the files using one recovery software. Luckily I got so many files back. But now when I am trying to format the disk as NTFS. It is failing. Can someone please suggest a good external hard disk diaganostic tool/ formating tool for toshiba?

If the drive is out of warranty, you can try remvoing the drive from the external enclosure and mount it inside your PC. You can then try formatting from the PC. This will at least eliminate the external enclosure as the source of the problem. Sometime the electronics within the enclosure go bad, but the drive will still be good.

ben979

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the drive is out of warranty.
I am able to access to some part of the disk. Means, if i format the disk it, it will throw the error after some time and the disk will will be displayed as normal NTFS. So i guess it's not a problem with the external circuitry.

Get a new drive, why try to use a drive that not only failed, but is also failing for format? Even if you get it working the chances of it crashing again is about 100 times greater than before.

To fix a bad drive, unless it's a simple board swap, costs hundreds of dollars, at least, not worth it at all unless you have data to recover, sending it to Toshiba for repair is a waste.

ben979

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Guys, thanks a lot for the information and suggestions. I bought this drive paying some good amount of money. Loosing such a device along with big data loss in just a fraction of second....buying again this is out of my mind :(

AnnieLee

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
I PURCHASED AN HP530 W/O HDD, GOT A WIPED TOSHIBA HDD2E95 D TO REPLACE, NOW THAT I HAVE LAPTOP ALTOGETHER THEY SAY I NEED A UTILITY PROGRAM SO HDD IS ACTIVE, WENT TO TOSHIBA WEBSITE, NO UTILITIES FOR HDD2E95 D OR MK1661GSYF, WHAT CAN I DO NOW? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

silhouttejames

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
This diagnostic tool is available for use by customers who feel their Fujitsu Branded Toshiba hard drive may not be operating normally. t is only designed for use with Fujitsu Branded Toshiba ATA/IDE hard drives.

Windows Diagnostic Tool Ver. 1.12
DOS Diagnostic Tool Ver. 7.0
UDMA Utility
Fujitsu Branded Toshiba HDD Flash Utility
Disk utility windows 7