Question Toshiba HDWE140xZSTA 4TB HDD Noise Question

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
This morning when I turned on my desktop computer I did my normal routine which consists of checking and installing any updates for Windows 10 and then running my Norton Antivirus checking for updates and doing a scan. I have a Toshiba HDWE140XZSTA 4 TB HDD as my D drive which I use for both storage and my games. This drive has always been kind of noisy but this morning when running my virus scan, I noticed that the drive was making a buzzing noise and I could feel the vibration when I put my hand on the top of my case. I suspect that something might be wrong with the drive and I'm waiting on 8AM Central time to call Toshiba support. I bought the drive on September 13th, 2018 for Fry's in Webster, Tx. If I'm reading things correctly, this drive has a 1 year warranty.

Just wondering what other's thoughts are as to the condition of this drive.

I think it's a tough call.
I've heard drives make strange noises when they need to do something out of the ordinary....like delete a bunch of tiny files......or something like that.
Then again......I've heard drives make strange noises and then quit soon after.
If it were me....and I could afford another 4 TB drive....and I'm seeing them for $75....I might just replace the drive rather than risk it.

vule.pcgeek

Commendable
Oct 15, 2017
-Check the condition using Hard Disk Sentinel and attach that screenshot here
-Check for bad sectors using HDTune (select Error Scan)
-Try to scan your system with other antivirus software (maybe it's the issue caused by Norton itself)

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I called Toshiba and they have issued an RMA. I will replace the drive and then send the old drive back and they will issue a VISA debit card with more than likely the full amount I paid for the drive about a year ago...$99.99.

I'm thinking about replacing it with a SSD drive since the prices on SSD's have gone down. I have a XPG SX8200 PCIe NVMe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 480GB SSD on my Asus Prime X470-Pro Motherboard. Since this board has a second M.2 socket that I think will only support a SATA mode, I'm wondering if that might be the best place or should I just buy a SATA SSD? I would want a minimum 1 to 2 TB's of space.

vule.pcgeek

Commendable
Oct 15, 2017
I called Toshiba and they have issued an RMA. I will replace the drive and then send the old drive back and they will issue a VISA debit card with more than likely the full amount I paid for the drive about a year ago...$99.99.

I'm thinking about replacing it with a SSD drive since the prices on SSD's have gone down. I have a XPG SX8200 PCIe NVMe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 480GB SSD on my Asus Prime X470-Pro Motherboard. Since this board has a second M.2 socket that I think will only support a SATA mode, I'm wondering if that might be the best place or should I just buy a SATA SSD? I would want a minimum 1 to 2 TB's of space.
I would buy a 2.5" SATA SSD since I see no reason paying more for M.2 that's going to be used as data drive.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk