Toshiba Intros 2.5" HDDs with 15K RPM Spindle Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
"Average seek time of 2.7 ms (read) and 3.0 ms (write)" wow that's impressive for a HDD. Hopes such drives also comes to desktop at an affordable prices....

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
So, given a reasonable expectation for prices, why not just an SSD? Seek times are as good as zero on those and they don't get warm, or break when you move them.

At 15k speeds you can expect that even the smallest vibration is a danger.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Exactly, the way storage keeps going, 15k 2.5 inch HD's should have hit the "average" consumer market say `0 years ago...... This is going to be really over priced and a few years too late.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
At 15k speeds you can expect that even the smallest vibration is a danger.
Youd be amazed at how well they can run with a slight vibration.., not to mention these are enterprise discs... they will be secured very well.

Also Why one of these over a ssd? maybe because as far as data reliability goes they are probably about 5x better. not to say ssd's are bad or anything but they still arnt as good quality wise yet, with software bugs and issues in the manufacture process.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]spp85[/nom]"Average seek time of 2.7 ms (read) and 3.0 ms (write)" wow that's impressive for a HDD. Hopes such drives also comes to desktop at an affordable prices....[/citation]
Man, that makes the 13ms with my WD Caviar Black 3.5" look like crap... (AAM set to loud 254) But then again, it's a whole lot cheaper... Also, I thought that 10K WD VelcoiRaptors were good enough...

mavroxur

Distinguished
They're definately not pioneers in the 2.5" 15k RPM field, but still nice to see more players in the HDD market. I just wish SOMEONE would make a 10k RPM 2.5" drive that would meet the height and 5V requirements of notebooks already!

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]we need 10k drive for desktop from Toshiba now! since hitachi was acquired by wd, seagate got samsung hdd, our choice are limited......[/citation] What's it really matter? rotational hd's are just for storage capacity now anyway and if you want speed ssd's have surpassed them by leaps and bounds.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]oxxfatelostxxo[/nom]Youd be amazed at how well they can run with a slight vibration.., not to mention these are enterprise discs... they will be secured very well.Also Why one of these over a ssd? maybe because as far as data reliability goes they are probably about 5x better. not to say ssd's are bad or anything but they still arnt as good quality wise yet, with software bugs and issues in the manufacture process.[/citation]

not to mention if **** hits the fan, you can send it to a place to pull data off, granted at a great expense to you, but you cant do that with an ssd yet.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]knowom[/nom]What's it really matter? rotational hd's are just for storage capacity now anyway and if you want speed ssd's have surpassed them by leaps and bounds.[/citation]
today PC are still ship with HDD, if capacity per dollar of the SSD drop to today HDD level then i'll put 1 in my build

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]oxxfatelostxxo[/nom]Youd be amazed at how well they can run with a slight vibration.., not to mention these are enterprise discs... they will be secured very well.Also Why one of these over a ssd? maybe because as far as data reliability goes they are probably about 5x better. not to say ssd's are bad or anything but they still arnt as good quality wise yet, with software bugs and issues in the manufacture process.[/citation]
don't be so confident t'ey're Toshiba... I've seen HDs from them break by the dozen and be replaced to break again...

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
AVOID SEAGATE AT ALL COSTS. EVery single drive that I have had to repair for customers have all been seagate. They (And their pcb's) are junk. Don't use them in Raid 10 either

g-unit1111

Titan
Pretty impressive, but then again now that SSDs are dropping way down in price, it almost makes regular HDs not worth it any more, IMO. If you're going to be using it as a secondary that's one thing but as the primary I'd still stick with SSD over anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.