Toshiba Launches First 512 GB SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
First! Lol.

So yea, it's nice to see the sizes going up rapidly. I for one really want to get the 128gig versions, as in 4 of them, in a RAID0. Hopefully these newer larger capacities will make the prices come down. Soon!

Very best,

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
These are moving so fast it's making my head hurt. I remember them releasing the first 32 gb models months ago and I was thinking it's about freaking time.... Now it's like you can't get one shipped to your house without a better one coming along. I can at least buy the biggest baddest CPU or video card and last a week to a month if I'm lucky. Oh well......

G

^ thats an understatement

Micron is supposed to release an SSD drive that has 1 GB read speed and 500 some write speed...

I'll get it too as long as its not like 500 million $ a gig

Sushi Warrior

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Maybe first 512, but some company already launched a 832 gig 2.5 and a 1.6TB (yes! TERABYTE) 3.5 inch drive. Toshiba is hardly in the lead. The company is Bitmicro.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]excuse my noob, but what's the data cap on sata II? i feel in two years my usb 2.0 sataII x38 will be extinct....=[[/citation]

I'm pretty sure it is: 3.0gbps /8 = 375MB/s. I've seen it as 300MB/s online...not sure if they can't divide or if it really is a limit of the interface. Usually theoretical throughput just uses math...without considering that you won't get those numbers, so who knows.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
1) Toshiba "unveils" a 43nm MLC SSD with 512GB of storage

2) I hereby "unveil" a 1TB 32nm SSD to be manufactured in my house.

- Neither one can actually be bought
- Neither one has hard pricing
- Neither one has any hard availability date

Toshiba is a tough competitor but so far I've matched them on this one...

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom]I'm pretty sure it is: 3.0gbps /8 = 375MB/s. I've seen it as 300MB/s online...not sure if they can't divide or if it really is a limit of the interface. Usually theoretical throughput just uses math...without considering that you won't get those numbers, so who knows.[/citation]
Actually it's 384MBps. 3Gbps = 3072Mbps = 385MBps. So we may see SATA 6Gb/s becoming more widespread in the next year, I certainly hope new SATA technology is being developed at the moment.

hdyw

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
That only applies to the older PATA drives.
SATA uses 2 bits of parity, so 3Gb of total bandwidth actually equates to 3Gb/10=300MB/s. This is further decreased by a 20% encoding overhead, for an actual potential speed of 240MB/s. This means that yes, these new SSD's will be riding the very limit of the current standard and will soon be targetted more for the new SATA 6Gb/s standard.

Keep in mind, this is only the beginning.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]1) Toshiba "unveils" a 43nm MLC SSD with 512GB of storage2) I hereby "unveil" a 1TB 32nm SSD to be manufactured in my house.- Neither one can actually be bought- Neither one has hard pricing- Neither one has any hard availability dateToshiba is a tough competitor but so far I've matched them on this one...[/citation]

LMAO!

Your missing one thing, CES, you get your 1TB There and then you sure will beat Toshiba. Till then keep working on it hard!

Am I missing something? Where's Patriot? Where's G.Skill? There are a few other SSD manufacturers that aren't listed in this table. We nee more SSD reviews!

'Cmon up to work Tom's!

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I wish they would just cut the crap and build the flash into a pci-express slot like FusionIO did. Not only would that futureproof the interface bandwidth, it would also get more wires out of the case and reduce the complexity of the motherboard.

100000 i/ops and 800MBps is nothing to sneeze at, and sata 3 can't handle it already in real world numbers. Considering this is the first gen hardware, it does not bode well for the "next gen" standards that are supposed to pump data with these drives.

Its time to main-line the data with a 16x pci-e slot, and maybe piggyback the drives ala sli to share the bandwidth and leave slots for more graphics.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I wondered earlier, if they couldn't release a drive with built-in raid controller? so they could utilize, say 8, small 64gb mlc drives to create one big 512gb drive with 980MB/s read speed and 560MB/s write speed (worst of the figures above)

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I think the SSD industry is putting the pressure to get SATA 6gb standardized. These 200+ read/writes will finally show the potential of SSD's. Don't think many magnetic disk manufacturers are still boasting the 'unlimited potential' of their 1.5Tb 3-legged turtle tech anymore.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]Sushi Warrior[/nom]Maybe first 512, but some company already launched a 832 gig 2.5 and a 1.6TB (yes! TERABYTE) 3.5 inch drive. Toshiba is hardly in the lead. The company is Bitmicro.[/citation]

According to BitMicro website, the maximum size of their 2.5" line is 416gb, not 832gb. "Armed with patented FlashBus™ technology, E-Disk® Altima™ SATA solid state drive offers random I/O rates of up to 20,000/sec, burst rates of up to 300 MB/sec, sustained rates of up to 100 MB/sec, and storage capacities of up to 416 GB."

It's true they do have 1.6tb but in a 3.5" form factor so it's not really relevant here. The truth is that Toshiba does have the lead in the 2.5" market, for now at least and if they do get it on the shelves before someone else (like tipoo) does.

Status
Not open for further replies.