Toshiba Launches New 7mm Hybrid Drive Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I wouldn't touch Toshiba hard drives with a 100' pole.

In my lab, Toshiba Enterprise class 2.5" (146GB, 15k rpm) hard drives compose right around 1% (9 machines, 2 with two trays, 17 drives per tray for 187 drives) of my drive population, and for the last 3 years have been over 40% of my hard drive failure rate. This is out of just under 20,000 drives, and including Seagate and Hitachi 1TB and 750GB drives that are older than 5 years, while these Toshibas are less than 3 years old. Yet, these Toshiba drive fail at such a rate that they outnumber any other drive type. I get from 2 to 8, mostly 3 or 4, Toshiba drives fail per month. These are supposed to be Enterprise level drives with a lower failure rate than standard desktop drives.

I am certainly not going to go for their desktop or laptop drives with that kind of a record on drives that are supposed to be more reliable. These things must have an absolute horrid failure rate.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I'd be a little concerned, if they get too thin, if the drive might be susceptible to bending. It seems like it wouldn't take much of a bend to cause a hard drive crash.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Not what I am looking for. Maybe good for OEMs. I want a 750GB - 1TB HDD attached to a 128GB - 256GB SSD with one interface and a jumper to switch between series and parallel hybrid modes. Than I can select the appropriate mode for my use. I am fine with having to use software drivers if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.