Toshiba Password Removal Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBadger7

Honorable
May 23, 2013
I have the Master Password and the User Password. This is not a bogus attempt to get a work around OK guys! I have even changed the User PW with success and set " " for the Master Password successfully. What steps do I take to make there no Built-In HHD Password?

[edit] HDD Password not HHD ... sorry!

Solution
Others have been able to change the password in BIOS. Found this:

1. The HDD password cannot be removed using Security Assist.
2. Using SETUP BIOS (i.e. start machine; Hold Esc; Press F1), Tab to the HDD Password section which should be displayed as follows:
HDD Password
HDD = Built-in HDD
HDD Password Mode = USER Only
User Password = Registered
3. Tab to the "User Password" field and simply enter the old password and then a new one twice (once to verify) as one would do normally. If you don't want a password, just press "enter" twice

http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=38923

TheBadger7

Honorable
May 23, 2013
They are nightmares if you don't know them. A Built-In HDD Password is activated only from a MoB that can access it. And nearly nothing can reach past it to itself to gather the password unless the BIOS can gain control.

This particular Toshiba has such. A combination of Master Password, User Password, Built-In HHD Password and a plain Password (I believe that is the BIOS one).

SO, before the BIOS can register the HDD it asks for this Built-In HDD Password which is the User Password at boot.

I have the Passwords, I just don't want to make any mistakes during this process and I am trying to tell it to not care about the Built-In PW at all.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Terry

Others have been able to change the password in BIOS. Found this:

1. The HDD password cannot be removed using Security Assist.
2. Using SETUP BIOS (i.e. start machine; Hold Esc; Press F1), Tab to the HDD Password section which should be displayed as follows:
HDD Password
HDD = Built-in HDD
HDD Password Mode = USER Only
User Password = Registered
3. Tab to the "User Password" field and simply enter the old password and then a new one twice (once to verify) as one would do normally. If you don't want a password, just press "enter" twice

http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=38923

Solution

TheBadger7

Honorable
May 23, 2013
I printed this and as soon as it gets to a point I can enter the BIOS again I will follow these steps :)

The video is for someone that does not own the HDD or goofed like I am trying my best not to do, LOL!

TheBadger7

Honorable
May 23, 2013
ALSO: That did it perfectly but I felt compelled to come and ADD something to the solution!

IF the Master Password is Set you have to have it first and follow basically the same steps Enter Old PW / Enter / Enter to remove it first or you can't remove it all.

I get a complete boot easily now ... so Thanks Tom's Hardware for coming through yet again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.