Toshiba Prototype Batteries: Stronger, Better Than Li-ion

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'd love to see these batteries in plug-in electric cars.. such as the tesla and the volt

XIPO

divpers

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002
These batteries are not a new technology and are in use in many devices.

They are Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries (LiFePO4) and are far superior to the Ion.

High Discharge Rate Capability
Among the best for all high power output demands

Extraordinary Long Cycle Life: 5-7 years
Achieves up to 2000 cycles per life-over 7 times the life of
Lead Acid and 3 times of NIMH and 3-4 times of LI-MN battery.

Long Service Life
Over 6-7 years-up to 2000 cycles (80% DOD)

Rapid Charging Ability
2C fast charge 85% within half hour

No memory effect
Nickel Batteries exhibit memory problems

Environmentally Friendly
Non-toxic, Non-contaminating-no rare metals, UL, CE,
SGS/ROHS approved. Easy to dispose of.... No Heavy Metals.

G

On every positive thing there's usually a drawback...
I mean, are you sure those batteries aren't nuclear? lol...

Anyways I thought standard Lithium batteries usually need replacement between every 1000 to 4000 recharges, not every 500.

It kind of depends on what quality of battery you get, and the size. Smaller batteries last less long then larger batteries.

In any case Lithium batteries usually last at least 3 years.

Like said, the drawback may be in weight, size, or just very environment unfriendly...
It's easy to only sell the good points.

BTW, talking about the VOLT, I had to think about electric motorcycles.
there are electric motorcycles available that will run 5 years on LI-Ion batteries before they need replacement (need a recharge once every 1,5 days, talking about driving 40 miles per day).
In that aspect the chevy Volt which lasts ?45 miles ? per charge needs a recharge every day, and lasts only 3,3 years.

In this case the electric vehicle has driven 300 days/year 40 miles/day.
For the Volt that'd be 80% of battery usage for 3,something years,and has a recharge cycle of 900 charges.
900 Charges are identical to the electric motorcycle.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
What company is this 'Apples'? As in, "such as many of Apples products." Or did you mean to use the correct phrase "such as many of Apple's products." I would recommend limiting the writing of articles to people with writing skills.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
these sound a little like the nanotitanate batteries i've been waiting for about 3 years now..... but how long does the average charge last?

estreetguy

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
*What company is this 'Apples'? As in, "such as many of Apples products." Or did you mean to use the correct phrase "such as many of Apple's products." I would recommend limiting the writing of articles to people with writing skills.*

......wow, because that was worth posting. Take your epic failing somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.