[SOLVED] Toshiba Qosmio X70a memory upgrade tips

gini

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me some tips or recommendations on a memory upgrade for a Toshiba Qosmio X70A (01y01p). Currently running the factory setup 4 x 4gb Samsung(?) 1600mhz cards (i think CL11) and was wondering if a set of Gskill Ripjaws 4 x 8gb 1600mhz CL9 would be a compatible setup, or if there is maybe something better out there I could try?

Solution
That's basically the one, I know it supports 32gb but I wanted to make sure I get the best-bang-for-buck cards I can find. I was looking at a set of Crucials as well but then noticed the CL ratings were different and wanted to double check. I was doing a bit more research and I think the problem I was trying to solve could be Video Card related. My video playback in some programs and image processing in Photoshop has gotten really choppy and slow loading, but I dont think upgrading the VC is an option on this rig because it is soldered directly to the MB I think. I started using a higher-res external monitor a while back because of a failing display and I think that might have made things worse and the screen cuts out randomly...
Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me some tips or recommendations on a memory upgrade for a Toshiba Qosmio X70A (01y01p). Currently running the factory setup 4 x 4gb Samsung(?) 1600mhz cards (i think CL11) and was wondering if a set of Gskill Ripjaws 4 x 8gb 1600mhz CL9 would be a compatible setup, or if there is maybe something better out there I could try?
Is this your laptop ? Based spec on this site, yes they support the 32GB RAM (Max capacity).

gini

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Is this your laptop ? Based spec on this site, yes they support the 32GB RAM (Max capacity).

That's basically the one, I know it supports 32gb but I wanted to make sure I get the best-bang-for-buck cards I can find. I was looking at a set of Crucials as well but then noticed the CL ratings were different and wanted to double check. I was doing a bit more research and I think the problem I was trying to solve could be Video Card related. My video playback in some programs and image processing in Photoshop has gotten really choppy and slow loading, but I dont think upgrading the VC is an option on this rig because it is soldered directly to the MB I think. I started using a higher-res external monitor a while back because of a failing display and I think that might have made things worse and the screen cuts out randomly from time to time, I'm connected with an HDMI but I have an option to connect VGA directly into the VC so I might try buying a VGA-Displayport or DVI-d cable first. Might be time to bite the bullet and throw down for a Trident X :)

Last edited:
That's basically the one, I know it supports 32gb but I wanted to make sure I get the best-bang-for-buck cards I can find. I was looking at a set of Crucials as well but then noticed the CL ratings were different and wanted to double check. I was doing a bit more research and I think the problem I was trying to solve could be Video Card related. My video playback in some programs and image processing in Photoshop has gotten really choppy and slow loading, but I dont think upgrading the VC is an option on this rig because it is soldered directly to the MB I think. I started using a higher-res external monitor a while back because of a failing display and I think that might have made things worse and the screen cuts out randomly from time to time, I'm connected with an HDMI but I have an option to connect VGA directly into the VC so I might try buying a VGA-Displayport or DVI-d cable first. Might be time to bite the bullet and throw down for a Trident X :)
CL won't make any issue, as long as the speed is same (1600Mhz) they will compatible.
And about choppy and slow loading issue, I assume there is something wrong with driver or power plan settings.

Solution