Question Toshiba Satellite A505 getting hot ?

Mar 23, 2021
These is my PC credentials:
Toshiba Satellite A505 Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)
1.60 gigahertz Intel Core i7 Q 720
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total) 487.36 GB HDD

Here are the issues I am having with this laptop:

Periodically, it will overheat and then shut down. This has been going on for a few years. Most times it overheats when my browser, Firefox, is open and is on a site where there are many video graphic ads running. The laptop is especially sensitive to full fledged videos (YouTube, Netflix etc.) running. Overheating is then very fast and shuts down quickly.

Some of the past symptoms have been, upon bootup, it will shut down before any overheating takes place. When repeated booting up, a BSOD will then appear and at CRASH DUMP report will be made. (this does not often happen) I have run Malwarebytes and Ccleaner to try to find issues but none have been found. The overheating hardware is located on the left side where the heal of my palm rests. Is this where the CPU is or is this the video card location?

I am not sure this is totally a hardware issue or if there is some 'program' running in the background? I've looked at the TASK MANAGER and never can't find anything there.
I have disabled several 'startup' programs but still the issues persist.
I would greatly appreciate any help on this.
I am a long time user of Toshiba laptops. This is my fourth since 1994.

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello, The left side of your laptop is getting hot because that is where the heatsink is to remove heat. These is probably a dust buildup on the heatsink fins that is causing the overheating. Also, continuous shutdowns due to overheating is VERY bad for the laptop as that means it hits almost 100c which will severely damage the chip overtime.

When was the last time you blew the vent out with compressed air or a compressor (Don't vacuum)? That will get any dust out and let it breathe.

Second, What surface do you use this laptop on? (Bed, blanket, table) Because there is a circular fan intake on the left under the laptop that has to get fresh air in and if you are using it on something soft it will block the intake and stop air from getting to the heatsink.

Mar 23, 2021
It has been a while since I last opened the case and checked for or blew out any dust buildup. When I did this there was so little dust, I did not think this was the problem.
I've always used this laptop on a flat, cool surface but realizing how warm the underside was, I had elevated it onto a rack with 5 inches of air space beneath it. I thought the same as you are suggesting and took measures to eliminate that possibility.
It has been suggested that "the heat conducting grease may have 'dried out' " so I will be opening up the case again to see what I can do.
I run Ccleaner periodically to 'tune' it up and I also use Malwarebytes. I have Kaspersky for virus protection.
When I purchased this machine in 2010 it had a 125gig hard drive. When that 'died' I installed a 500gig drive (it was the smallest I could find that was compatible) Could this larger drive have contributed to this overheating?
Thanks for your response. This issue is making me crazy.

It has been a while since I last opened the case and checked for or blew out any dust buildup. When I did this there was so little dust, I did not think this was the problem.
I've always used this laptop on a flat, cool surface but realizing how warm the underside was, I had elevated it onto a rack with 5 inches of air space beneath it. I thought the same as you are suggesting and took measures to eliminate that possibility.
It has been suggested that "the heat conducting grease may have 'dried out' " so I will be opening up the case again to see what I can do.
I run Ccleaner periodically to 'tune' it up and I also use Malwarebytes. I have Kaspersky for virus protection.
When I purchased this machine in 2010 it had a 125gig hard drive. When that 'died' I installed a 500gig drive (it was the smallest I could find that was compatible) Could this larger drive have contributed to this overheating?
Thanks for your response. This issue is making me crazy.

When you say it's overheating, did you actually check the temps on it using a sensor program like HWMonitor? Crashing is not always caused by overheating.

And yes a system that old will very likely need new thermal paste and cleanup done.

Mar 23, 2021
No 'hand-the-9' I did not physically check the temperature. I use only the senses of my hand. But it has happened so often over the years that I can calculate when a shut down is about to take place.
I recently had a suggestion of lowering the 'Maximum performance state of the processor' in the Control Panel's energy settings. I lower this to 80%. Since I am not a 'Gamer' (I use a art program - CorelDraw) a lower CPU performance should not have a great affect,... I hope.

A bit of maintenance will be done shortly.

Mar 23, 2021
by lowering the "maximum performance state of the processor" in the "processor power management" of the advanced powersetting of the Control Panel, I was able to stabilized the temperature of the CPU.

The HOT Toshiba problem is solved!

TRENDING THREADS