Toshiba Satellite C55-A 5300 will Not Start, Fan Cycles Slow to Fast

Solution
Hello there chasmwhite. First of all, you are not in the correct section as this is a laptop. But I'll give you standard procedure for figuring out your issue.

I'll assume you do not have any boot? As in no lcd movement at all (check this with a flashlight), no beeps, etc? If yes then try this:

First of all, unplug the ac adapter and remove the battery. Then wait at least 5 minutes. Afterwards, reconnect the ac adapter, and start the laptop again. If the picture appears, the issue was a bad software issue.

If there is still no boot, then try this next step: Connect your VGA or HDMI slot to an external monitor. If the picture appears, then your issue is the screen (lcd) itself. If not, then the issue is on your motherboard.

These...

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Hello there chasmwhite. First of all, you are not in the correct section as this is a laptop. But I'll give you standard procedure for figuring out your issue.

I'll assume you do not have any boot? As in no lcd movement at all (check this with a flashlight), no beeps, etc? If yes then try this:

First of all, unplug the ac adapter and remove the battery. Then wait at least 5 minutes. Afterwards, reconnect the ac adapter, and start the laptop again. If the picture appears, the issue was a bad software issue.

If there is still no boot, then try this next step: Connect your VGA or HDMI slot to an external monitor. If the picture appears, then your issue is the screen (lcd) itself. If not, then the issue is on your motherboard.

These laptops are a hassle to disassemble, and you need to have good confidence in your skills.
1)First, UNPLUG the laptop.

2) If you have a door underneath, then remove the door to access the HDD and RAM cards. If not, follow the procedure to remove your keyboard and bezel. You can find this on youtube.

3) Carefully remove the HDD screws and HDD itself.

4) If you have only a single ram card, try finding a replacement ram card. (DDR3) If you have two, then remove one of the two RAM cards and restart the pc. If the picture appears, then the RAM card was defective. If there's no picture, then replace the RAM in its slot carefully and remove the other RAM card. Then repeat.

If you still have no picture, then you can safely assume it's the motherboard. There is no easy fix for this computer. No replaceable card inside. The motherboard needs to be replaced. Please either contact Toshiba or refer to a trained technician to replace the motherboard.

Solution