[SOLVED] Toshiba satellite c850d-107 problems

May 26, 2020
Got a Toshiba satellite c850d-107 laptop with windows 7 preinstalled and was upgrading to windows 10 but screen went black then grey with a little white line in the top left hand corner and I tried all the tricks mentioned on different sites but still couldn't fix the problem so took it to a shop and was told I needed a new hard drive which I got Installed today.

So I brought it home and set it up on my home wifi and went on windows update to see if it needed any new updates...as it was updating it crashed again with the exact problem so I need a new hard drive once again...what I did notice though was while in the updates it said windows update 1803 for windows 10 then it went on to windows update 1903 for windows 10 and that's how my computer keeps crashing so my question is can I replace the hard drive with any other hard drive or does it have to be a Toshiba satellite hard drive or the specific model Toshiba satellite c850d-107 hard drive?...also how do I bypass the 1903 windows 10 update when installing windows updates so the same problem doesn't happen again...thanks in advance

Solution
Why didn't you get an SSD fitted? The laptop is around 8 years old, an SSD would make a difference!
No one uses hard drives as main boot drives anymore and they haven't done for some time.

Whoever fitted the new hard drive get them to replace it with an SSD and install the latest version of Windows 10, using the windows 10 media creation tool (this will ensure you are getting the latest version).

The problem may be drivers, after a quick Google search the drivers were made for windows 7, not 10, so may lack proper compatibility.

OR

The problem could be internal (the screen may need replacing), In this case, due to the age of the laptop, I would just buy a new laptop...

NOT_PROVIDED_16

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2015
Why didn't you get an SSD fitted? The laptop is around 8 years old, an SSD would make a difference!
No one uses hard drives as main boot drives anymore and they haven't done for some time.

Whoever fitted the new hard drive get them to replace it with an SSD and install the latest version of Windows 10, using the windows 10 media creation tool (this will ensure you are getting the latest version).

The problem may be drivers, after a quick Google search the drivers were made for windows 7, not 10, so may lack proper compatibility.

OR

The problem could be internal (the screen may need replacing), In this case, due to the age of the laptop, I would just buy a new laptop...

Last edited:
Solution
May 26, 2020

OR

Ok thanks for the feedback it's appreciated