Toshiba Satellite U925T is First NFC-Enabled Ultrabook

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

MasterCard's "Buy with PayPass" functionality supports all cards, not just MasterCard cards. Do your research.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
What? Toshiba figured out a way to enable the National Football Conference on their laptops? Some of these headlines at Tom's are hilarious!

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Perhaps this is the "first" to hit the US, but it's been around for almost a decade in Japan and other asian countries. I still have a Sony VAIO SZ that I purchased in Akihabara in 2005 which has a Felica sensor in the palmrest.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
If you just need to put your wallet (credit card) on the sensor to pay for the transaction, what are they doing to prevent someone from standing behind you in a crowd and discretely bringing a sensor (lets say on a cable attached to a laptop, rather than the whole laptop itself) to your wallet in your back pocket, to pay for their purchase?

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]techcurious[/nom]If you just need to put your wallet (credit card) on the sensor to pay for the transaction, what are they doing to prevent someone from standing behind you in a crowd and discretely bringing a sensor (lets say on a cable attached to a laptop, rather than the whole laptop itself) to your wallet in your back pocket, to pay for their purchase?[/citation]
Because in addition to scanning your card/payment device, you also typically need to input a key-code.

Anyhoo, this is an interesting idea--probably a lot more pertinent for small-businesses wanting a unified work-computer/POS purchase transaction machine (assuming you can set up the pay service, etc. But for the average user/consumer...meh...I personally wouldn't seek out this feature, but if it's there, I couldn't care less.

G

So a kid can buy a sports car on ebay and use my credit card by taking it out my wallet and put it on the laptop? Kids got it easy nowdays :D

G

Yes NFC, but when it comes time to update the Toshiba customized HD graphics drivers for your games, you will never be able to get them, folks just know Toshiba never updates their HD graphics drivers. Intel can not update OEM customized Intel HD graphics drivers! Toshiba will never provide them! Gamers do not BUY toshiba! you will be up the river with out the updated drivers you game needs to run!!!!!

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]...But for the average user/consumer...meh...I personally wouldn't seek out this feature, but if it's there, I couldn't care less.[/citation] The electronic wallet has a lot more appeal in countries where shoppers traditionally carry a lot of cash and don't have credit cards (i.e. Japan).
For credit card users the advantage is that they don't have to type in their CC information at all to make online purchases. No use looking over someone's shoulder to see his card info. Keyboard loggers and other trojans designed to steal CC information would be useless as the entire process is encrypted end to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.