[SOLVED] Toshiba tecra r940 changing Led Blinking 8 times!!!

May 26, 2020
So my toshiba tecra r940 has a problem, I plug the energy and the charging led turns on green, and them after 2 seconds goes oragene and starts blinking in a 8 time secuence and them restarts
I already did the basic tests like removing the battery, ram...
I scratch on the internet and found that the blinking means an error code and that but I don't really know how to read that.
Where is some info i found:
Example: Error code 12h (Error codes are given in hexadecimal format.)
<----------Read
0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0
Start Bit 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Order -------->

Check 1 Convert the DC IN LED blink pattern into the hexadecimal error code and
compare it to the tables below.

DC IN
Error code Meaning
10h AC Adaptor output voltage is over 16.5V.
11h 10/100 Network Port Replicator II or Enhanced Port Replicator II
output voltage is over 16.5V.
12h Current from the DC power supply is over the limit (6.16A).
13h Current from the DC power supply is over the limit (0.5A) when there is
no load.
14h Current sensing IC is not normal.

Main Battery
Error code Meaning
20h Main battery voltage is over 13.46V. (Not supported)
21h Main battery charge current is over 5.06A.
22h Main battery discharge current over 0.5A.
23h Main battery charge current is over 2.70A.
24h Current sensing IC is not normal.
25h Main battery charge current is over 0.3A when there is no charging.

....... https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/diagnostic-blink-codes-for-toshiba-notebooks.19067/

So my question is how i determine what is the error?? Blinking:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o6aVnD-Dk8&feature=youtu.be

Solution
problem with the charging circuit, you should get battery nominal voltage on the pins from the charger => battery.

However its odd you cant power on with only the Power cable, battery just dont get charged should be the issue. There might be multiple isssues at once.

Remove power cable, remove battery, then remove cmos battery pack connector from the motherboard and wait 15mins. Check cmos battery with multimeter (from the connector that its atleast 3v), Try boot without cmos battery after disconnected everything for 15mins.
If doent work remove all and connect cmos battery and try boot with it, that reset cmos and bios settings (wont fix charging issue but if main issue was bios related or frozen super io)

If cmos battery below 3v...
its 52h => EVER5V output:

-
52h EVER5V voltage is under or equal to 4.5V when the computer is
booting up.

So this means not enough voltage on the 5v power rail in the circuit. Look your USB ports for a short (messed up looking pins)

What happened before this?
Try removing battery and power cable, then press power button for 30sec, put back power cable only and try to boot. If it works without battery that might be the reason.

This might be component failure also on the motherboard, test your laptop charger for right voltage with multimeterr / test another charger

Reactions: BPZatar
May 26, 2020
its 52h => EVER5V output:

-
52h EVER5V voltage is under or equal to 4.5V when the computer is
booting up.

So this means not enough voltage on the 5v power rail in the circuit. Look your USB ports for a short (messed up looking pins)

What happened before this?
Try removing battery and power cable, then press power button for 30sec, put back power cable only and try to boot. If it works without battery that might be the reason.

This might be component failure also on the motherboard, test your laptop charger for right voltage with multimeterr / test another charger

First of all thank you for the response!
The 30-sec tip didn't work or I didn't do it right.
So after that, I checked the charger voltage and it's 19V so, that's not the problem.
Then I open the laptop and check if the DC cable had voltage too (https://prnt.sc/soeq0u) and it has also 19v, however, the battery charging part is around 4.4V...
I didn't found any broken pins or burned stops.
I also removed the floppy drive, but I think that's is not important for the computer to start.

One thing last night I tried removing the battery and start up the computer and it works for about 5 min them it shutdown and since then I could turn it one again, I used a random hard drive from an old Linux computer so it must have crashed and shutdown
The computer was broken for a long time and I was trying to get it working again*

Also, a photo of the laptop dissembled (https://prnt.sc/soeqiy)

May 26, 2020
So is it working right or or still crashing without battery connected and only powr cable?

No, it's still not working, I tried the removing battery technique, and still, I got the blink and no power...
I tied resetting the bios to but still nothing.
I think it is a motherboard issue but not sure because it turned on the other day...
Also, I found a disconnected cable and I am not really sure what it is (https://prnt.sc/sp1zfh)
(it's, not the DVD drive)

Last edited:
problem with the charging circuit, you should get battery nominal voltage on the pins from the charger => battery.

However its odd you cant power on with only the Power cable, battery just dont get charged should be the issue. There might be multiple isssues at once.

Remove power cable, remove battery, then remove cmos battery pack connector from the motherboard and wait 15mins. Check cmos battery with multimeter (from the connector that its atleast 3v), Try boot without cmos battery after disconnected everything for 15mins.
If doent work remove all and connect cmos battery and try boot with it, that reset cmos and bios settings (wont fix charging issue but if main issue was bios related or frozen super io)

If cmos battery below 3v replace

What happened before this? Before you got the problem?

Solution
Remove the motherboard completely from the case, remove that usb etc board which is connected to it, remove cmos battery pack, remove wifi card etc, everything , all connectors.

Plugin external monitor hdmi, put the motherboard to non conductive table like wooden, only add powr jack cable. Keep heatsink and ram in.

Check that nothing is shorted and add power cable, laptop will boot straight away since cmos nbattery is removed no power button is needed. if nothing happens measure battery pins in this barebone state, still 4.3v?

Reactions: BPZatar
May 26, 2020
So I tried the 15 min thing you seed and nothing happened whit and without the battery, I still got the blink.
Now the other thing you sed worked (https://prnt.sc/spf6om), https://prnt.sc/spf7cg (monitor)
So them I started to connected every cable one after another to see where was the problem and i found out that the problem was the bios battery that is broken.
So now it's working fine, I also changed the thermal paste so now is like brand new!
I'm going to change the battery any time soon..
Thank you for your help men!

Nice job, you will get the error until you replace it, date and time will be messed up in the operating system.

But i asked to remove the cmos battery already on the "wait 15mins part" so are you certain its too low voltage / shorted bios battery?. I guess the 4.3v on the battery pins issue still remains? Atleast you can use it on power cable.

EDIT: mark the answer which solved this question, if you keep getting issues you can post on the thread later on.

May 26, 2020
Nice job, you will get the error until you replace it, date and time will be messed up in the operating system.

But i asked to remove the cmos battery already on the "wait 15mins part" so are you certain its too low voltage / shorted bios battery?. I guess the 4.3v on the battery pins issue still remains? Atleast you can use it on power cable.

EDIT: mark the answer which solved this question, if you keep getting issues you can post on the thread later on.

I changed the CMOS battery and now everting is working fine, even the battery, it charges and lasts about 2/3 hrs!