Toshiba Thrive Review: The Swiss Army Knife Of Tablets

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I bought a Thrive about 1 month ago after researching and using the practicality index of which options best fit my daily needs in a tablet- the ability to connect my mini and full size USB devices was the biggest factor for me. full size HDMI is a huge plus. But the most used one on a daily basis for me, was the full size SD reader. I use microSD in my droid, it came with a Full Size SD adapter and it works perfectly fine in the Thrive- video is amazing, android market access is excellent and im beginning to see more apps with tablet compatibility- The Thrive is a great tablet hands down (consumer replaceable battery!!! really sold me)

phrancis

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Wow, groupon was selling this for $300 the other day. If I hadn't already bought the viewsonic gtab I would have snapped this up. At least I have a full sized USB port as well.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I'm holding out on a tablet till Wayne or a comprable 28nm process system on a chip is out. Hopefully Wayne is the magic price / performance / watt ratio that gives us tablets with good 720p screens, full usb connectivity, bluetooth keyboards and mice, but batteries that last a day or two.

I feel like this delay on all the 28nm stuff is proving problematic - all the desktop gpus, all the SOCs, and a lot of other hardware all seems dependent on TSC and that doesn't seem good for the industry. Hopefully Global Foundries picks up some of the general 28nm transistor worload soon.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Too bad for you. Next time don't get yourself into that kind of pig state; maybe you won't need your crapPad.[/citation]

LOL... some of you guys took that post way too serious. I did a typo where it was supposed to say "Thank You iPad" rather than "That you".

But no... a tablet is an excellent relaxing computer device. They are light-weight and do their simple jobs well. They are a great sales tool when you're on the convention floor talking to people, in which a desktop is impossible and a notebook is (A) crumble-some (B) heavy (C) far shorter battery life.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Try using your desktop or notebook computer when you are having a hang over all day. Where only laying on your back keeps you from barfing all over the place.My iPad allowed me to check mail, confirm hotel info, read news that was not possible with my 24" LCD desktop system... or note book.That you iPad for making me semi-functional.Gawd I wanted to die that morning.[/citation]
You can do all that from your phone
On a different note, man up and handle your drink better

G

Does Thrive works with WIFI connections from cellphones mobile hotspots?

G

What I want is a tablet that can act as a extended desk top/2nd monitor, and I would love it,
most of all, if it could assist my laptop with 3d rendering , as rendering pegs out the speedometer on
my sandybridge laptop's 2 cores/ 4 processor threads.

Wryker

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I just bought the 8GB Thrive for $250 from Amazon over the weekend (gold box deal) which I think is a great price-point for that model.

G

I all ways notice that when comparing tablets and they get excited for a USB, no one looks at the Thinkpad 10.1 which offers everything a PC does for less then an iPAD2 and is more business friendly APS.
What people don't work on a tablet, just play?

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
The bad news is that a spare battery costs another $75, and there's no way to charge it outside of the tablet.

I'll bet a charging PAD will charge just Tom. Come on what are you thinking?

Horrabin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Late to the party, but bought a 32GB Thrive refurb from ebay for $309 last week. I'm impressed. I have zero experience with Android, cell phones, etc and so far it seems pretty easy to use. My 64 GB SDXC Sandisk card works fine, movies & songs work great with 3rd party players (USB with Fat32 & SD card both). Built-in players are adequate though basic. Graphics are at least as good as other folks' notebooks I've seen (don't have one myself) and the games that are compatible I've run work well (GTA3, all the Angry Birds games, even Quake 1 although it's a little choppy at times; might have to do with the porting, but it looks just like the old dos version). The review of the cameras was on the money. Good pictures in good light, bad pictures in dimmer situations. Can't comment on the HDMI since none of the 8 monitors I have access to have HDMI ports..... Wifi is very good and quick. Teamviewer and ES File Explorer interface fine with my Windows 7 comps. Overall, I'm pleased with my Thrive so far. I decided on it because of the internal storage and all the full size external ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.