Toshiba to Unveil SDHC cCrd With 560 Mb/s Short Range Wireless Bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Yeah, if I read that correctly, all you have to do is place the receiver next to the card and it'll work as though it were directly connected. It'll save a lot of wear-n-tear from inserting SD cards.

Already I can imagine having a miniature turn-table loaded with SD cards. Simply turn the wheel to switch cards, like one of those ancient slide projectors but with SD cards instead of transparent plates.

How is this at all helpful? Its range is 1.5 INCHES and requires a receiver, or docking station. My USB cord is 6 feet... And just as fast. I can get a docking station. This is as silly as those "wireless" charging pads.

There's a reason no one has touched it since it was introduced in 2008.

rrruby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
It's a lot easier to just use conventional methods to transfer to the PC, not to mention the receiver probably needs to be plugged in somehow. Also, unless the author can time travel, it'll be at CES 2013 lol.

rrruby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]Finally, transferring data from one smart phone/phablet/tablet to other without Bluetooth or cable.[/citation]

You already can, if both devices have NFC, and you can transfer to PC with WiFi synching?

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]How is this at all helpful?[/citation]

This is not for transferring data between the card and a computer, it would be an incredibly stupid concept if that were the case. This is for use with content creation devices. If you are shooting video and one card is close to being full, you can switch cards seamlessly without interrupting your shoot.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]Finally, transferring data from one smart phone/phablet/tablet to other without Bluetooth or cable.[/citation]
[citation][nom]rrruby[/nom]You already can, if both devices have NFC, and you can transfer to PC with WiFi synching?[/citation]That's what I was just thinking. Why have just the SD card talk to a reciever, when the whole device (internal memory, SD card, attached memory stick) can already transfer data via NFC or BT. I can't really think of a killer use case for this now that multiple wireless technologies have matured.

+1 this is what the tech is really all about. Being able to transfer stuff in between anything that has the tech and transfer near usb 2.0 speed.

[citation][nom]rrruby[/nom]You already can, if both devices have NFC, [/citation]

Well NFC shouldn't be doing the syching. If it is, that's some slow transfer speed. (somewhere in the area of 400 kbit/s.)

As for Wi-fi syncing, will it's fine for the PC, how about getting data from "Phone A to Phone B" without the need for PC?

That's what the comment you quoted was talking about.

Yeah you could get everything you need from a PC on a wifi network, but what if your with a friend and both of you are no where near a pc and/or near the wifi network that it's on (say the middle of town, in park, or in a store)? Also what would you do if your friend wanted to give you something without notice (maybe a video on his/her phone that was taken not to long ago)?

Unless your taking a laptop everywhere, This is one of the advantages of the tech. No PC or WiFi middleman. Just transfer to other mobile device and go.

[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]How is this at all helpful? Its range is 1.5 INCHES and requires a receiver, or docking station. My USB cord is 6 feet... And just as fast. I can get a docking station. This is as silly as those "wireless" charging pads.There's a reason no one has touched it since it was introduced in 2008.[/citation]

Well you haven't looked into the tech very well if your complaining about the range being 1.5 inches.....

SD card in camera to Smartphone anyone?

As for why is hasn't taken off yet, I would have to say it's because of poor marketing. I haven't heard about this at all until a few months back and i've been constantly on tech sites such as tom's since late 2008.

Maybe i was just somehow (without knowing) turning my head away from it. Although I'm doubtful of that as I'm able to keep up with even the rumors of unreleased cpu's and gpu's from Intel, AMD, and Nvidia.

So, marketing is to blame on that front.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]This is not for transferring data between the card and a computer, it would be an incredibly stupid concept if that were the case. This is for use with content creation devices. If you are shooting video and one card is close to being full, you can switch cards seamlessly without interrupting your shoot.[/citation]Do tell. I'm interested in hearing how that is supposed to work. You've got a wireless memory card installed. Your 64GB is full, probably because you're a fool and can't find time for a 10 second break anywhere in all that time. Now what do you do? You've got this wireless transfer crap... with a range of 1.5 inches. Do you tape the receiver to the side of the camera? Does the camera know that its supposed to start offloading data to whatever the receiver is connected to?

Since the wireless is built into the SD card, it ceases functioning without power. So if you pull the memory card out, you're back to square one. Why not just plug a damn cable into the camera, and transfer that way? Or use a camera with 2 card slots? What about the battery life of the camera? 64GB stores a decent amount of footage. If it uses CF you can get a 128GB card.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]How is this at all helpful? Its range is 1.5 INCHES and requires a receiver, or docking station. My USB cord is 6 feet... And just as fast. I can get a docking station. This is as silly as those "wireless" charging pads.There's a reason no one has touched it since it was introduced in 2008.[/citation]

Most 'new' technologies have been around for years. Sometimes the time has to be right for it to become useful.
Take FAX machines, all the rage in the 1980s... but the technology was around since 1908 !

dvo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
i have a question: this is supposed to be a type of SD card, right? like what we find in a phone or camera? well, they dont read or write all that fast, so why not sacrifice wireless transfer speed in favor of something a bit better than 1.5 inches of range? i mean sure 50mb/sec (effective) is much slower than 375, but if the range could be more in the range of a foot or two, wouldn't that be more practical for us? obviously though as the technology matures they'll figure out a way to get speed and range.

This fits right in with those wireless charging pads. I think its not a bad idea to just drop your camera or phone on a pad that both charges and downloads your images.

I assume this short range is to stop anyone from being able to exploit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.