Toshiba TR200 SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do they even bother releasing this as a retail product. Just work with the manufacturers of laptops and prebuilt desktops, who are only looking for a cheap way to put "SSD" on their spec sheet and don't care about performance.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
It drives me crazy thinking that companies like Toshiba are filled to the brim with talented engineers and yet they still think the best route forward is with a DRAMless design. Are you telling me that not a single high level person compared their SSDs to the competition and said "These things are garbage. Let's stop wasting our money developing them."

Sakkura suggested that these SSDs are meant to be put into prebuilt desktops as a cheap means of adding an SSD to the spec sheet. In the conclusion, the author states that "The results do not justify the means, even with a $10 decrease in component expense. The only price that users care about is what they pay, and DRAMless SSDs are not cheaper than products already on the market." NOBODY benefits from DRAMless SSDs even in a $450 prebuilt desktop.

The situation is frustrating to me because I would rather have big companies like Toshiba not waste their effort designing this crap. I enjoy reading about disruptive new products that shake up the market. I want to experience the Back to the Future 2 utopian future. Products like this take us backwards to a dystopia where the world is ruled by tremendous idiots and as of 2017 we STILL don't have flying cars.

gjbaker003

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
In the "Pricing & Warranty" section it suggests that the $89.99 SSD is 120GB, but the rest of the article states that the $89.99 SSD is 240GB. I would assume at that price point, that 240GB is the correct size of the drive?

mapesdhs

Distinguished
(non-zero origin in the sequential read graph again)

I bet if they were included, the 840 Pro, Vector, Vertex 4 and Neutron GTX from five years ago would still be better than these new Toshiba models. I long for the day when something as good as the 850 EVO is available at a price the 850 EVO was 2 years ago (250GB for 53 UKP, 500GB for 113 UKP).

Whatever happened to SanDisk's promise to release 8TB SSDs for the consumer market by now?

HERETIC-1

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
So sad-with Toshiba 3D available was thinking the "Race to the bottom"
was finally over.
A few dollars worth of Ram could have possibly made these a decent SSD.
Thro the controller could also be part of the poor performance...........

kookykrazee

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I will consider SATA technology outdated when I can get 6-10TB drives that are reasonably priced. That will not happen for awhile, so when I got a free $200 BB gift card I got a 8TB drive for $179. This replaced 3 1.5-3TB drives. Gained a few degrees in my case, too :)

TMRichard

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2015
Honestly, I MIGHT consider the drives a LITTLE bit if the capacities were twice the size at the same price.... I mean, I don't care how fast my glacier storage is... the things I tend to work on frequently are on a fast SSD but I have 2.5TB of other stuff to store, give me a 3.5" Storage SSD with 8-10TB of storage with HDD like R/W speeds and price it competitively with a mechanical drive and you'll have be buying plenty of them.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
M.2 SSD's are becoming more and more common today. If only low-end consumer and business laptops would switch over to them (with a bay door so they could easily be swapped out should someone wish to!) we could get off SATA fully and totally in the future.

Really the only reason I stay with SATA spinny disks is because I trained my father "Dad, it is okay to turn off the power on the computer while the drive light is on as long as it is not doing a Windows update!"

Now with SSD's? Doing that can KILL an SSD necessitating a re-image via backup through Partition Table and File Table corruption.

They need to fix that issue, perhaps by caching enough current in the motherboard to finish writing all files the computer is writing at the time, refusing to write anymore when it detects a power failure, and then gracefully let the power to the drive fail after all writing is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.