Toshiba Unleashes 2.5'' HDDs with 10K RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
When the drive spin's down to save power, wouldn't it have a negative impact on performance when it's needed most? because the drive would need to spin back up?

eastcoaster

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]thebob654321[/nom]just a while guess but these will not work in a laptop?[/citation]

I don't think there are any laptops that offer the SAS serial connection and I bet these things would give off too much heat as well.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Thank jeebus these are sata 3.0 drives. I would've been mad if they made sata II versions which could be used in my ps3 hehe because I already put a seagate momentusG in mine.

armitageid

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Strider-Hiryu_79[/nom]Thank jeebus these are sata 3.0 drives. I would've been mad if they made sata II versions which could be used in my ps3 hehe because I already put a seagate momentusG in mine.[/citation]

These are SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) drives and will not work on a SATA controller.

Now....SAS controllers can use SATA disks....but why would we want to do that now :)

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]armitageid[/nom]Now....SAS controllers can use SATA disks....but why would we want to do that now[/citation]
Emergency/temporary use? At the very leasy it's still better than a swift kick in the nuts. :p

cdillon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
2.5" SAS drives have been available at 10K and 15K RPM for years now. The actual news here is that now Toshiba is doing it. Yawn.

G

It's $600 US.dollars! Are you kidding Toshiba?! We can get a VelociRaptor with the same specs but double the Cache for less than half that price. Get with the times already!

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]NLee[/nom]It's $600 US.dollars! Are you kidding Toshiba?! We can get a VelociRaptor with the same specs but double the Cache for less than half that price. Get with the times already![/citation]
This isn't for the enthusiast market it's for data centers and blade servers get with the program dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.