Toshiba XG3 M.2 PCIe SSD Review: An OCZ RevoDrive 400 Primer

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddybody

Distinguished
Can't wait till these faster M.2 drives are priced where SATA-SSDs are currently.

I'd love to use M.2 SSDs (250GB-1TB @ ~1400MB/s) for boot/primary drives, and low cost SATA (1-3TB @ ~550MB/s). HDDs can still find value as back up devices with soaring storage sizes for their price.

Mitchell Marvin

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
Over Christmas i built a new PC around a 6700k and a 980ti but reused a 5 year old 128gb Mushkin SSD, I'm waiting for the right M.2 SSD to catch my eye, and trying not to buy the Samsung one just because its the only one out at the moment.

Eggz

Distinguished
Good information, but the comparison to the XP941 and SM951 seems a little misplaced. Neither of those drives are NVMe SSDs, but this Toshiba-based OCZ drive is. Why not compare with the Samsung 950 Pro instead?

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Why not compare with the Samsung 950 Pro instead?

You can't make that comparison. The Samsung 950 Pro performance needs to be shown in very specific ways. If you test the 950 Pro using the same methods the 950 Pro would throttle and expose some pretty horrid performance.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
That is not accurate ssdpro.

I wanted to stay with 128GB capacity class products. The performance increase from 128GB to 256GB is fairly large. I have a 128GB SM951-NVMe on the way but it is not here yet. Samsung didn't release the 950 Pro in this capacity size.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Why not compare with the Samsung 950 Pro instead?

You can't make that comparison. The Samsung 950 Pro performance needs to be shown in very specific ways. If you test the 950 Pro using the same methods the 950 Pro would throttle and expose some pretty horrid performance.

Agree, got an 950 and just to be sure i placed a heat-sink on its processor and aligned the chassis airflow a little so now it even benchmark consistently. Under normal desktop usage i doubt anyone will ever see the throttling thoo

Eggz

Distinguished

"It gets too warm" isn't a reason to compare dislike hardware. NVMe drives on PCIe should be tested against other NVMe drives on PCIe. A 950 Pro with a heat sync makes for a better comparison than an AHCI drive without one. Don't get me wrong, I think the drives tested would augment the comparative data in a useful way, but it's incomplete without an apples-to-apples comparison. Better to compare hot apples to warm apples than it is to compare cool oranges to warm apples - or you avoid the issue and cool the hot apples until they're warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.