Toshiba's $7000+ 400 GB SSD: SAS 6Gb/s, SLC Flash, And Big Endurance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

Hundreds of mechanical drives? Hell a cheap 1tb drive already beats your 400gb $7000 drive. Its not worth the money for slightly better read/write/access time. So, until I can get a 1tb SSD for $129 I will be more than happy to live with the few extra seconds of loading time. Oh and lets not forget the very limited life you get from an SSD, when that SSD dies in 2-3 years a mechanical drive will still be going strong

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]JerryC[/nom]Hundreds of mechanical drives? Hell a cheap 1tb drive already beats your 400gb $7000 drive. Its not worth the money for slightly better read/write/access time. So, until I can get a 1tb SSD for $129 I will be more than happy to live with the few extra seconds of loading time. Oh and lets not forget the very limited life you get from an SSD, when that SSD dies in 2-3 years a mechanical drive will still be going strong[/citation]

You really should become a little more knowledgable before commenting on this subject. Your consumer grade MLC drives cannot be compared to SLC enterprise class drives in terms of durability. This toshiba, as with many enterprise class SLC solutions will most likely outlast even enterprise class mechanical drives. A 1 TB drive does not in anyway compare to this solution. This is not meant for a gaming machine or to have speed bragging rights... This is meant for highly utilized database and other random access enterprise solutions. It would take hundereds of mechanical drives to match this in terms of IOPS and thats what counts when it comes to database servers.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]garciam[/nom]Anyone thinking this can last longer than a few SSD's raided obviously does not know *** about how NAND works and how much it lasts.Throw 3 Intel MLC 480 GB SSD's in RAID-5 (1k each), make an agressive overprovisioning...and they will both last MUCH longer and also run circles to this expensive piece of hardware being reviewed.Heck, it's pretty much touching Fusion-IO pricing without even coming close on speed.This will only work for people needing plug & play replacement for their SAS drives AND with very deep pockets. Since i suspect the replacement should be made in batches...it will be VERY expensive.Anyone else with brains can find a lot of cheaper, faster AND more reliable solutions.I'd wait for a Velodrive, raid a couple of them and just have regular backups on a storage with regular HDD's (that is, read GB/s from a couple SSD's...write GB/s sequentially to a storage).I do understand though that there are out there companies that can't risk innovation and smart choices and have to recur to handwritten promises and warranties of the big guys.Reason why buying a Dell costs a hell lot more than building it yourself.Reason why building your own storage is a fraction of the price of an EMC solution.And so on...[/citation]

That is just flat out wrong. The MLC drives even with over-provisioning would not outlast this SLC solution. There is a reason SLC is still used. Maybe you do not have experience in truly high-use environments, but your consumer grade solution would fail in less than 6 months under heavy load.

Status
Not open for further replies.