Question Total Annihilation? Corrupted Ext. Hard Drive File System

Feb 19, 2023
Hello everybody,

I wonder if any of you tech savvy guys might be able to help.

I encountered a problem with one of my 4TB external hard drives when copying data onto it, when it was almost full, and it crashed and is now undetectable.

HERE's THE THING...
I think the file system is corrupt and so windows cannot read it or recognaise it in any way except in device manager the "USB controllers" report "Unknown USB Device (set address failed)" type 43 error
(further info elaborates slightly "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) The USB set address request failed.") and clicking on the properties there of this "device not started" cites Problem: 0x2B and Problem Status: 0x0

I can't repair the file system because windows pretty much doesn't recognaise the drive is there. And data recovery programs also won't work because they will inevitably be unable/unaware that the drive is there either. And windows can't see the drive in "Disk Management" / "Defragment & Optimise Drives" either. But it is powered up, the USB cable and port are good and I've tried obvious things like unplugging it, rebooting etc.

In the beginning I had one bit of luck when disk management suddenly did see it and I started to defrag/optimise it etc, but during the process it suddenly disappeared and hasn't been seen since.

Basically it WAS my backup, which I was intending to restore so I'd have 2 copies again (as the original data was lost when).
I've since read that drives need 10%-15% empty space to avoid these problems, so I obviously overloaded it and can't access it to do anything about it now.
Even if I just wanted to save the disc I can't reformat it etc. as it is inaccessible.

All online solutions tend to steer you to data recovery software (which won't help if the disc can't be accessed) or they genuinely try to help but all the various solutions and fixes found so far don't work when the initial stumbling block can't be overcome: i.e. the drive is not detectable in any way except that windows (in device manager) knows something is there connected to the USB port.

So the bottom ljne is that I need to be able to access/read the disc to do anything at all, and to be able to do that it needs whatever the problem is (corrupt file system?) so it can be read, but you can't do any of that if it can't be read in the first place. A bit of a Catch 22, in that I need to be able to read/recognaise the disc so that it can be fixed so that it can be read/recognaised!

So before I give up, I wonder can anyone help, or is it done for me?

Feb 19, 2023
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. well it was the backup till the original was lost last week, so now was the only copy, yes.

It's a Seagate Model SRD0NF1 expansion desktop (4 TB) external hard drive, with the usual black plastic case enclosure (pic. link below) i.e. the lower cost sort of solution
Not sure if it would be the enclosure as the drive is unmoved prior to and following this.

This is how it looks https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&...600/907843022358ABB57CF2425C8753D4D9.jpg&pn=1

Feb 19, 2023
Today tried the drive on another PC, then after booting up via a "Live CD" (Linux OS based on Knoppix distr. sol) and finally uninstalling and then trying to reinstall the device, which didn't seem to work out at all (windows can't recognaise the device). Maybe it's not only the file system, so I probably have to conclude that the disk itself has had it. FUBAR.