[SOLVED] Total physical ram 2gb less than installed

michelle147

Prominent
Jan 9, 2019
Hi, bought a hp envy x360 13-ag0014au last week (8gb onboard ram) and it cant even handle a single browser page open if its heavy on ads like ebay or amazon without eventually crashing. In task manager the ram usage is sitting around 40% with nothing open and just windows and Malwarebytes running background stuff. I get that the available memory is supposed to be about 2gb less than the physical, but the physical is 2gb less than the installed. I found a thread with a guy that had almost the exact same issue with another hp envy, but I tried a repair install of windows and it hasn't changed.

Any ideas on what I can try? Don't want to go through the warranty hassle if I can help it.

system info
installed physical memory: 8gb
total physical memory: 5.96gb
available physical memory: 3.37gb

bios just says there's 8gb there

Solution
so how did the guy in the link above get his total physical ram up to 11.9?
The person on the link had a problem related to corrupted files of the Windows OS and it was missing most of the memory...10GB of memory.
Furthermore, that system has an Intel CPU with an Intel iGPU that uses 32-64MB regularly and at most 384MB.

You laptop has an AMD CPU with Vegas iGPU (sometime called APU), which could have more that 2GB of system memory allocated at all times.

Im not talking about the available physical ram being lower than the total physical ram, Im talking about the total physical ram being 2 gb lower than the installed ram.
Again, the RAM you think is missing is taken from the 8GB on your laptop and allocated to the...

michelle147

Prominent
Jan 9, 2019
Your system is working as intended by design.
The missing RAM is used by the AMD Vegas integrated graphics (iGPU).
so how did the guy in the link above get his total physical ram up to 11.9? Im not talking about the available physical ram being lower than the total physical ram, Im talking about the total physical ram being 2 gb lower than the installed ram.

from my understanding mine should be about
Installed memory: 8gb
Total physical memory: 7.96gb (give or take a few decimal places)
Total available Physical memory: 5 point something gb

so how did the guy in the link above get his total physical ram up to 11.9?
The person on the link had a problem related to corrupted files of the Windows OS and it was missing most of the memory...10GB of memory.
Furthermore, that system has an Intel CPU with an Intel iGPU that uses 32-64MB regularly and at most 384MB.

You laptop has an AMD CPU with Vegas iGPU (sometime called APU), which could have more that 2GB of system memory allocated at all times.

Im not talking about the available physical ram being lower than the total physical ram, Im talking about the total physical ram being 2 gb lower than the installed ram.
Again, the RAM you think is missing is taken from the 8GB on your laptop and allocated to the Vegas iGPU. The integrated graphics unit.
If you do not need that type of graphics performance, return your laptop and get one with a lesser performing iGPU or a laptop that has memory dedicated just for the iGPU.

from my understanding mine should be about
Installed memory: 8gb
Total physical memory: 7.96gb (give or take a few decimal places)
Total available Physical memory: 5 point something gb
Yes, your system has 8GB installed memory.
Around 2.1 GB are allocated to the system integrated graphics (iGPU), that's why only 5.9GB are display as available by Windows.

HP should had been more upfront with the system specifications.

Solution

michelle147

Prominent
Jan 9, 2019

Again, the RAM you think is missing is taken from the 8GB on your laptop and allocated to the Vegas iGPU. The integrated graphics unit.
If you do not need that type of graphics performance, return your laptop and get one with a lesser performing iGPU or a laptop that has memory dedicated just for the iGPU.

Yes, your system has 8GB installed memory.
Around 2.1 GB are allocated to the system integrated graphics (iGPU), that's why only 5.9GB are display as available by Windows.

HP should had been more upfront with the system specifications.

Forgot to check for updates after the repair install lol, now have
total installed: 8gb
total physical: 6.96gb
total available physical: 4.78gb
might try a clean install

Forgot to check for updates after the repair install lol, now have
total installed: 8gb
total physical: 6.96gb
total available physical: 4.78gb
might try a clean install
You are not going to get all 8GB as available RAM on the laptop, it doesn't matter what you do.
Read this from HP website on link below.
"DESCRIPTION
The available system memory is lower than the physical memory installed. For example, if 8GB of memory is installed, the available memory size is only 5.92 GB."

Scroll to
"RESOLUTION
This is by design. AMD reserves some memory capacity in order to support the Microsoft PlayReady feature."

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06526774

D

Deleted member 14196

Yeah you go ahead and clean install all you want to and let us know how that works out. First response is the correct one

lynx1021

Distinguished
I tried to search for a memory upgrade for your model and nobody had any, not even Crucial, It may only have soldered in memory?? Can't find much about it. Yeah I think you can't add memory because it says 8GB "onboard" where others say 1X8 GB

Last edited:
I tried to search for a memory upgrade for your model and nobody had any, not even Crucial, It may only have soldered in memory?? Can't find much about it. Yeah I think you can't add memory because it says 8GB "onboard" where others say 1X8 GB
Yes, the RAM is soldered to the system board.
That's why HP have this about it:
8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (onboard)
It looks just like Dell Inspiron 7373.
The only upgradeable components is the M.2 disk.

Reactions: lynx1021