Question Total War: Shogun 2 crashing in dx11 (works in dx9 fine)

Jul 20, 2020
Hi all,

A bit new to Tom's Hardware so forgive me if there are any community norms I don't abide by :)

Basically, I'm having this issue with launching Shogun 2 in dx11 when the dialogue pops up. It's driving me nuts. The game works fine in dx9 but it looks like <Mod Edit> (cus dx9). When I try to run it in dx11, the game immediately crashes and I'm returned to Steam library page.

I've made sure my Direct X and graphics drivers are updated and I know it's quite a specific problem as I'm able to run lots of other games just fine (Overwatch, CS:GO, The Witcher 3, Dishonored 1 & 2, etc.). I will mention that I haven't been able to run any of the BioShock games since I purchased them a few weeks ago. The Shogun 2 thing might be a related problem, but maybe not, as I've heard BioShock is just really poorly optimized.

Also, I'll mention I've done the obvious Verify Integrity of Game Cache and fresh reinstall without mods in the data folder -- no dice.

Thanks for your time and appreciate any help!

Custom-built PC system specs:
Windows 10 Home
AORUS Z390 Pro
i5 9600K @~5Ghz
RTX 2080 TI
16 GB G.Skill Trident Z RAM
1TB WD Blue SATA SSD (OS)
2TB WD Black HDD
850W Seasonic Gold PSU

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 20, 2020
Hi all,

A bit new to Tom's Hardware so forgive me if there are any community norms I don't abide by :)

Basically, I'm having this issue with launching Shogun 2 in dx11 when the dialogue pops up. It's driving me nuts. The game works fine in dx9 but it looks really bad (cus dx9). When I try to run it in dx11, the game immediately crashes and I'm returned to Steam library page.

I've made sure my Direct X and graphics drivers are updated and I know it's quite a specific problem as I'm able to run lots of other games just fine (Overwatch, CS:GO, The Witcher 3, Dishonored 1 & 2, etc.). I will mention that I haven't been able to run any of the BioShock games since I purchased them a few weeks ago. The Shogun 2 thing might be a related problem, but maybe not, as I've heard BioShock is just really poorly optimized.

Also, I'll mention I've done the obvious Verify Integrity of Game Cache and fresh reinstall without mods in the data folder -- no dice.

Thanks for your time and appreciate any help!

Custom-built PC system specs:
Windows 10 Home
AORUS Z390 Pro
i5 9600K @~5Ghz
RTX 2080 TI
16 GB G.Skill Trident Z RAM
1TB WD Blue SATA SSD (OS)
2TB WD Black HDD
850W Seasonic Gold PSU