[SOLVED] TP-Link 4G router doesn't like some of my devices ?

ERSorrow

Commendable
Apr 17, 2021
Hello, I'm confused, why some of the devices have stable and others have unstable wifi connections to the same router? For example, I can connect my smartphone wifi to my router without any problem, never disconnects. Talking about computers, even with the new ones, I can't have a stable wifi connection, I always need to use them with ethernet cables for perfect quality. Even wifi on Xbox Series S is really unstable with it. Maybe the router acts like a little girl and tries to have it's own opinions of what devices it likes and don't likes? Joking.

Solution
Do you still have one of the wired broadband routers you say work fine. You could turn off the wifi radios on the 4G router and plug the other router in as a AP. Since you say other devices connected via ethernet work this should eliminate any wifi issue from the 4G router.

The 4G router really is not any different than wired wifi routers. All they really do is add a 4G radio chip to the box. The chips that do the wifi are different devices and likely identical to other routers they sell without the 4G feature.

The only thing you can do is try newer firmware for the router but it is highly unlikely it is a bug.

Wifi is extremely hard to troubleshoot. It can be as simple as the antenna are being blocked more by the case...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I'm confused, why some of the devices have stable and others - unstable wifi connections to the same router? For example, I can connect my smartphone wifi to my router without any problem, never disconnects. Talking about computers, even with the new ones, I can't have a stable wifi connection, I always need to use them with ethernet cables for perfect quality. Even wifi on Xbox Series S is really unstable with it. Maybe the router acts like a little girl and tries to have it's own opinions of what devices it likes and don't likes? Joking.
WIFI is very dependent on many variables. The router, the client hardware (including antennas), distance, obstructions and interference. There is no easy way to diagnose your WIFI problems remotely. We can give you general suggestions that can improve WIFI, but if you live in an apartment building with 200 competing WIFI signals, you won't get great WIFI.

ERSorrow

Commendable
Apr 17, 2021
WIFI is very dependent on many variables. The router, the client hardware (including antennas), distance, obstructions and interference. There is no easy way to diagnose your WIFI problems remotely. We can give you general suggestions that can improve WIFI, but if you live in an apartment building with 200 competing WIFI signals, you won't get great WIFI.
Thanks for your answer. I'm living in the cottage with 3 different neighbors. Each of them have wired broadband internet access, but I don't believe that it could cause my wifi to malfunction, even if I can see all the wifi signals from them. I tested wifi on other, but wired broadband internet router (not 4G) and it was fine with all the equipment, even with wifi adapters, connected to pc. So, it must be something with this TP Link 4G router, as I'm thinking from the beginning. Maybe it can't support something, some different types of connections? This problem is confusing me from the day I bought it and I'm sure it can't be broken, because I experienced the same thing before with other new bought routers, like MikroTik.

Do you still have one of the wired broadband routers you say work fine. You could turn off the wifi radios on the 4G router and plug the other router in as a AP. Since you say other devices connected via ethernet work this should eliminate any wifi issue from the 4G router.

The 4G router really is not any different than wired wifi routers. All they really do is add a 4G radio chip to the box. The chips that do the wifi are different devices and likely identical to other routers they sell without the 4G feature.

The only thing you can do is try newer firmware for the router but it is highly unlikely it is a bug.

Wifi is extremely hard to troubleshoot. It can be as simple as the antenna are being blocked more by the case than another device that works. Even someone standing in the path can greatly affect the signal levels.

Solution

ERSorrow

Commendable
Apr 17, 2021

Wifi is extremely hard to troubleshoot. It can be as simple as the antenna are being blocked more by the case than another device that works. Even someone standing in the path can greatly affect the signal levels.
Thank you for your suggestions. I updated the firmware on 4G router and will look if anything changes.