TP-Link Cable Modems Targeting Budget, Enthusiast Segments Now Shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Co BIY

Splendid
Can someone explain to me why none of these modems are built with an accessible power switch ?

The number one troubleshooting step for all my connectivity problems is "Power off, wait 30 seconds, power on". This is the full fix most of the time.

Why does the design of the modem not make this easy?

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Can someone explain to me why none of these modems are built with an accessible power switch ?

The number one troubleshooting step for all my connectivity problems is "Power off, wait 30 seconds, power on". This is the full fix most of the time.

Why does the design of the modem not make this easy?

because you shouldnt trust a power switch.. You should always unplug the dc connector for 30 seconds to give the capacitors a chance to bleed the leftover voltage. Once a modem is on, there is no reason to turn it off at any regularity, which is why there is no power switch.

Your router is more likely the culprit.

Co BIY

Splendid
[

because you shouldnt trust a power switch.. You should always unplug the dc connector for 30 seconds to give the capacitors a chance to bleed the leftover voltage. Once a modem is on, there is no reason to turn it off at any regularity, which is why there is no power switch.

Your router is more likely the culprit.

My units have all been combination modem/routers like the Archer CR700 above. Are you saying that the router portions are less reliable than the integrated modems ?

Are you saying that when I need to unpower the modem router I should be unplugging the adapter block rather than just pulling the plug from the rear of the mode ?

Even if it is only every other month I would rather use a switch than play with cables at the rear of the modem.

You could just put it on a surge strip, and use the power switch on the strip to power cycle the modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.