TP-Link Intros AV1200 3-Gigabit Port Powerline Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tresdrez

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
This is posted under the Tom's Hardware US, but the plug style is UK, EU. Do you have an estimate on availability in US? Or a link to one that actually works in the US?

tom10167

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
It's *hard* to find Powerlines with more than 1 extra. Most are 1 ethernet, or occasionally 2 ethernet or 1 ethernet + extra plug. 3 ethernet + a plug is a selling point on its own. Great product.

I have the AV1200 older model, has much more distance over powerline than wifi could give. The netgear wifi repeater also gave me problems and simply wasn't as reliable a connection.

With wifi in repeater mode, the best i could get was 8mbps to the far end of my house. With powerline kit, i'm able to get 30-40mbps which is more than enough to stream HD video from my NAS.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
This sounds promising. I think I'll buy this kit and give it a try when the US model is released. I was actually planning to hire an electrician to install some ethernet drops which would run me ~$125 per but if this kit works well it'd cost me less than half what I would have spent on the home wiring. For my needs the home installation probably would have been overkill anyway. I just want a reliable fast connection for streaming to 2-4 media players and allow for another person to game online all at the same time and wireless chokes at this even with the expensive hardware. I didn't think an AV kit would be up for the task but this new model sounds like it could be.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
This is posted under the Tom's Hardware US, but the plug style is UK, EU. Do you have an estimate on availability in US? Or a link to one that actually works in the US?

I'm confused. The plug looks U.S. style to me...am I missing something?

adruger

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I agree it appears to be US style, but the first line of the specifications states that it is EU/UK and the only retailers I can find that actually have it are in the UK.

EdJulio

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

Thanks for pointing that out. I contacted TP-Link and they're updating the specs page with the correct entry. It should say US, not UK/EU.

TP-Link also mentioned that the kit is available at Fry's now and at Micro Center and BestBuy next week.

Marco Ullasci

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
I have the european version for a few months now and it is a major improvement over the PA411 I had before.
Yet it is not a match for a proper CAT5/6 cable and will become a bottleneck if you do a backup to even a cheap NAS on the other side of the electrical line.

adruger

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Not to be fussy, but it still says UK/EU and it doesn't show up on Fry's at this time. Right now nothing from TP-Link shows up at the 1200 level. It hasn't been a week yet, but not on BB or MC yet either.

adruger

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
The reason I was posting is because this is still in the US category, supposedly for a product being sold in the US, but the specifications on the TP-Link page which is an US link, still shows it as UK/EU. Additionally the stores listed as carrying the product in the US do not have it on their websites. I want to buy it, but I need the US version, which is why I keep checking for them to update it and for the stores stated to actually carry it.

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/cat-18_TL-PA8030P-KIT.html#overview

EdJulio

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
The reason I was posting is because this is still in the US category, supposedly for a product being sold in the US, but the specifications on the TP-Link page which is an US link, still shows it as UK/EU. Additionally the stores listed as carrying the product in the US do not have it on their websites. I want to buy it, but I need the US version, which is why I keep checking for them to update it and for the stores stated to actually carry it.

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/cat-18_TL-PA8030P-KIT.html#overview

TP-Link corrected the error on their specs page and it now says US for the plug type.

adruger

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Yeah I noticed they finally fixed the link, though I still haven't found any vendors that actually carry it yet. Building a new house and figured with new wiring I would simply buy several of these to position around all of the TVs in the house, so that there is an easy way to connect the smart tvs and Rokus to the internet. Plus it helps when I work on other computers to have an alternative way to connect them to the internet that isn't based on wireless.

I just worked on a computer that had a pretty old wireless card in it, the powerline speed was far superior to what the wifi was pulling down.

Status
Not open for further replies.