TP link powerline AV2000 - only yielding transfer speed of around 100Mbps

kaushal101

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hi experts,

Struggling with this for a while now, any suggestions or recommendations would help.

I have a main router (Virgin Media superhub 2a) in cable mode connected to Velop connected to Gigabit switch as main setup. My NAS is connected via ethernet cable to the switch. On my downstairs computer (connected via ethernet to switch), I get around 400 Mbps LAN transfer speed (tested via LAN Speed Test lite version).

My powerline AV2000 is connected to the switch downstairs. The other unit is upstairs. TP Link utility shows speed of around 700Mbps to 900Mbps between the two units. But the actual LAN speed comes out to paltry 100Mbps between upstairs computer and downstairs NAS.

I'm struggling to understand that if TP Link utility is showing 700 Mbps, why am I not getting that speed during LAN speed testing or file transfer or when I try to stream a video (stored on NAS) on my upstairs computer.

Any help or suggestions welcome.

Solution
I would start with checking the cables on both ends of the powerline link. If you have a bad cable, the ethernet port could be limiting to 100Mbit.

kaushal101

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

Hmm... I've already tried switching cables upstairs. Will try the same downstairs as well. I don't think the port is limiting it to 100Mbit, as the transfer speed can touch just above 100 at times. I've seen it around 113 Mbits yesterday. But will try this and let you know if it makes a difference.

Apr 6, 2018
The TP Link utility only shows what your house wiring is capable of handling and not what the units themselves are capable of delivering.

For example, I have a couple of the TL-PA4010 kits which are advertised as being capable of "up to 600mbps". The TP Link utility says my wiring is capable of ~400 mbps. According to every source I can find, the units themselves only have 10/100 ethernet ports, so anything above 100mbps is physically impossible.

TP-Link certainly pulling a fast one in my case, and maybe in yours too.

Update: They even admit it in their FAQ. https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-461.html