TP-Link Wants To Heal Home Networking Headaches With An AC1900 Touch Screen Router

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they want to solve headaches they could simply stop making crappy routers. Never seem to have issues with ASUS routers, or most Linksys routers; but every time a friend buys a TP Link it is endless issues of intermittent signal drops, inconsistent speeds, short range... they just seem to be junk. If they fix that, then it would solve many of my headaches.

If TP Link or any router manufacturer 'Wants To Heal Home Networking Headaches' make a device that requires the least user interaction while performing the way is supposed to and leave aside gimmicks.
if you place a touchscreen on a router, you're telling me that I might have to interact with it a lot.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
If they want to solve headaches they could simply stop making crappy routers. Never seem to have issues with ASUS routers, or most Linksys routers; but every time a friend buys a TP Link it is endless issues of intermittent signal drops, inconsistent speeds, short range... they just seem to be junk. If they fix that, then it would solve many of my headaches.

I find the solution is to not buy anything from TP Link ever. It's solved all my router problems.

G

I've never had any problem with my TP-Link devices. I find they have a lot of features and work great. Only one device I had a problem because it would overheat on a glass table, but hanging it on a wall solved that.

I'd buy TP-Link over just about any brand, including D-Link. Only Linksys seems superior, in my experience.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
They have significantly improved their reliability and quality. Unlike some of their older stuff, they have essentially gone to more reference designs for the RF front end, as well as switching to well known SOCs.
This all allows them to go with more standard and well developed drivers, thus WiFi stability has gotten better.

There is also another huge benefit, better compatibility for 3rd party firmware. Overall, they are becoming a decent choice, as even if you do not like their firmware too much, you are essentially getting current gen SOCs, transceivers, and other RF components for a lower price.

On the other hand, this router does not seem like a good idea. It cost more than their AC3200 router, just to add a touchscreen LCD.

If it is designed for simple functions or presets, then they can get away with simply adding additional buttons. those require almost no additional cost as the SOCs used in many routers, have a massive amount of unused GPIO. They can add lots of extra buttons, or make the router more modular.

Typically, when you have your router set up properly, you don't need to touch or really look at it very often. If they want to change this, then they need to make the LCD in a better viewing position, and add lots of customizability, e.g., it better be able to display various statuses (CPU, RAM, NAND usage, along with VPN status), it should also offer the option to display other custom information sets, e.g., monitoring a local server, displaying weather.

Neat-O man

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
Would be much better if they just has a bluetooth connection and an app for your phone. Or maybe just use the WPS button (vs keeping it open, if not just open) and an app vs the typical web access (IP), or even keep the web access and offer a mobile version when accessed!!! i know its not hard to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.