Question TPLINK AV-2000 very unstable. Should I return it?

May 10, 2022
Mobo - MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
Ethernet - cat6e cables
Powerline adapter- TPLINK AV-2000

Hi everyone. This is my first post so sorry if I get some things wrong.

I was running an ethernet cable through the house to my desktop pc but have switched to Powerline hoping the technology would have improved by now.

With powerline I'm getting 53mbps down and 18mbps up. However the connection is incredibly unstable and drops out all the time.

Chess games are aborting because I lose connection and I'm getting really bad lag/rubber-banding on FPS games.

In my place the power outlets are almost flush with the floor (In the skirting). So I have no choice but to use one of those double power adapters to even connect the powerline adapter to the power outlet.

I have tested with the double power adapter, a powerboard and an extension cable. All 3 of these get me the same result.

The powerline adapters are on the same circuit but I have no idea how good the wiring in the house is. The house was built in the 1980s.

Should I just give up, return the TP-LINK adapter and try to convince my landlord to let me run an ethernet cable under the house?
Is there another solution out there?

Thanks.

Those TPLINK units are using the most modern form of what is called homeplug AV2 . There are other units that use a different standard called G.hn. Hard to say if either really is better they more or less perform the same but in some houses you see one technology work better.
In most test sites those particular tplink units tend to be the top rated so if you look for something else look for something that still says 2000 but uses g.hn.

Powerline adapters pretty much work or they don't. There are almost no settings. They are best into the wall socket directly but if you are using a very short extension it should not be a huge difference. The problem is extension cords tend to be thin and pick up interference. This is made even worse by people you plug multiple things into the same extension or are using a power strip that has surge protection in it.

If possible try to go around the house and turn off anything you can. Unplug everything and even turn off breakers. You optimum test would be 2 outlets with the router and the pc and nothing else. Your goal is to try to find something in your house that is interfering. You might then be able to filter those devices or move them to other circuits.

In the end ethernet is going to be your best option but when you do not own the property that can be a issue.

Is there coax cable in the remote room and near the router. You can use MoCA technology instead of powerline line. It can get full gigabit rates unlike powerline. What is interesting is moca uses a form of G.hn data encoding just over the coax rather than the power wires.

May 10, 2022
Powerline adapters pretty much work or they don't. There are almost no settings. They are best into the wall socket directly but if you are using a very short extension it should not be a huge difference. The problem is extension cords tend to be thin and pick up interference. This is made even worse by people you plug multiple things into the same extension or are using a power strip that has surge protection in it.
Thank you for the comprehensive answer.
I think the best option is to return it and look into running an ethernet cable under the house.

Unfortunately no coax in the remote room for MoCA.

Ethernet cable is always the best choice, it is just a lot of work sometime to get it installed.

When you run cables under the house the main concern would be if it touches the soil. Soil will eat the plastic on many types of cables so you want what is called outdoor direct bury. Normal cable will tolerate even fairly wet conditions but stuff like sun and soil kill it. Then again if it is easy to replace some people would rather just use cheaper cable and re pull it it every few years.

When you buy long cables it is even more important to buy quality cable. There is a lot of fake cable on the market because of the price of copper metal. You only need cat5e only buy better if it is cheaper. The key is the wire must be pure copper (no CCA) and it must have wire size 22-24 (non of that thin or flat cable).

Power outlets being in the base board? I don't think that was to code, even in the 80's. Seems like the house may have been built in a DIY method with extremely relaxed building inspection.

It doesn't hurt to talk to the landlord. If it's just a crawl space or basement under the house. Then running ethernet is super easy. You just need a large flex bit auger, a 1 gang dryall trim box and a few ethernet keystone jacks and wall plates.

Here's what I use:
  1. flex bit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W9SIYXQ
  2. 1 gange trim plate https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JQL0S8