Question TRACERT (Trace Route) command slow in Windows 10

Solution
You didn't read the information in the link. That's my question, but with details
Before some windows 10 update, everything was fine, now it's not. Need to find the cause and fix it.
internal timers were changed, you cant fix it
you can work around it, here example:
go to c:\windows\system32 folder
create new text file, label it as tracer.bat (you do need admin rights for making files in system32 folder)
open it in notepad
type in:
Code:
@echo off
c:\windows\system32\tracert.exe -d -w 1000 %1
save file and in commandline/terminal instead of tracert command, use tracer command
ex:
tracer 8.8.8.8
You didn't read the information in the link. That's my question, but with details
Before some windows 10 update, everything was fine, now it's not. Need to find the cause and fix it.
internal timers were changed, you cant fix it
you can work around it, here example:
go to c:\windows\system32 folder
create new text file, label it as tracer.bat (you do need admin rights for making files in system32 folder)
open it in notepad
type in:
Code:
@echo off
c:\windows\system32\tracert.exe -d -w 1000 %1
save file and in commandline/terminal instead of tracert command, use tracer command
ex:
tracer 8.8.8.8

Reactions: Hellsinki
Solution
Sep 14, 2024
Are you using the "-d" option to avoid trying to DNS translate addresses?
tracing with the "-d" parameter is fast, but "tracert (exemple)" that's the standard command I always run.
A slow DNS could be contributing to your slowness.
I'll repeat myself here in this forum thread as well.
There is another Windows 10 LTSC 1809 OS Build 17763.6293 computer nearby and everything is fine there. They are both connected to the same network, use the same DNS that are registered in the router. By the way, Traceroute also works without problems in the router.

If I install a Windows 10 image with older updates (with an older build), then the "tracert (exemple)" tracing goes perfectly, but some days pass (1-7... days), the updates are downloaded (they are downloaded/installed automatically, I only sometimes need to reboot the computer) and the tracing becomes slow.

I specifically deleted my old Windows 10 LTSC 21H2 for testing and installed a new 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4780 (currently 19045.4894), at the first launch I connected to the network and made a trace, it was already slow. Therefore, I am sure that some update introduced these "settings". But is it possible to fix this, as kerberos_20 writes, it is not entirely possible. Or maybe these "settings" can somehow be fixed in Windows Defender (what exactly should I check)? Or is this some kind of conflict with the software? Connecting to the network either by cable or by WiFi does not change the results.

kanewolf

Titan
There is another Windows 10 LTSC 1809 OS Build 17763.6293 computer nearby and everything is fine there. They are both connected to the same network, use the same DNS that are registered in the router. By the way, Traceroute also works without problems in the router.
The first one of these devices that runs will be slower than the other, since the router will cache data for some period of time.

I still don't understand your issue. You seem to be complaining about something you have no control over.
Find the source code to an alternative and build it, you can then tweak it any way you like.

Sep 14, 2024
What do you expect us to do? That is the part I don't understand ....
As I understand it, the answer is from "kerberos_20" is the solution. But I would like to know in more detail (where the information is) why this is happening. Why did they do it (if the developers had a hand in it). I just needed the details. Do you understand? :)

kanewolf

Titan
As I understand it, the answer is from "kerberos_20" is the solution. But I would like to know in more detail (where the information is) why this is happening. Why did they do it (if the developers had a hand in it). I just needed the details. Do you understand? :)
Unless you have the source code (I definitely don't) then there is no way to know what was done. That is why I suggested you get an open source replacement and then you can see what is done. What Windows did internally, is an MS proprietary thing.

Reactions: Hellsinki