[SOLVED] Tracking Down Original bios for Chinese Rx 580

Aug 13, 2019
I seem to have bought a gpu that has been undervolted and underclocked with a bios mod to provide maximum effiency and profit for miners and I want to restore the original bios.

Its a Corn Rx 580 from Newegg , Device ID seems to match this card: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/198033/198033
Even though I bought what was advertised as a 4 gig RX 470 model, the DEV ID of the card they sent matches this 8 gig Powercolor Rx580 .

PowerColor also has a specific mining RX 580 version, which is another likely suspect for the identity of this card, linked here: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/powercolor-rx-580-mining.b6073

Here is my gpuz validation page, which I figure is atleast some kind of start to begin to track down the mystery identity:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/drbby

gpuz.png

The worst part about the card is that at the moment, installing proper official AMD drivers causes the screen to bug out, turn pink, graphical artifacts, and then CRASH and become unbootable, with the only recourse being to do a restore point to even get back into Windows 10. If I install the rx 580 graphics drivers from Powercolor, Which are from 2017, the card seems to function properly, hardware acceleration is enabled, etc. From what I've read, once you use a modified Mining Bios, you can't use official drivers past a certain version because it detects the bios mod and doesn't function properly. Overclocking the card allows me to gain back a bit of performance, but the cards stock clock of 1150 MHZ is kind of crippling performance wise, and I've had the card up to 1350 MHz stable.

This would all be fine and good, except that I plan to use the card with a Linux install, and I wont have access to MSI afterburner to keep the card overclocked at every boot. I need the card to function and boost like it would if it had the proper original bios.

I'm well aware people flash false information to modded bios to sell scam cards, but googling the information on the die reveals this is a genuine Rx 580, I just need to find a proper bios that will work with the card. That being said, its possible SOME information on the GPUZ screenshot about may be false, which is why I haven't just grabbed the Powercolor RX 580 bios and flashed it to the card. I don't want to make a bad situation worse, I can admit when I need some help

Thanks everybody for reading my lengthy post, and I'm praying someone out there has a decent knowledge of bios versions, gpu hardware etc. and can help me stumble upon some kind of solution. If it helps anyone, I can provide the bios that's been pulled from the card so it can be examined.

Last edited:
Solution

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
The only way to determine what card is it is to remove the shroud, clean the thermal paste on the GPU (don't clean the thermalboads from the chips though) and see what code it is, the search for it on TechPowerUp. The minig version of the Poweecolor RX 580 has only one DVI port, so take note of the connections as well

g-unit1111

Titan
Where did you buy this particular GPU from? If it's from a Newegg minion seller (like Outlet PC for instance) then there's a good possibility that you didn't get the legit model. There's a lot of fake cards out there being passed off as real ones, and the fake market exploded during the GPU shortage, and that was around the time of the BIOS that was posted in the time frame of that picture. It's very likely that you got a fake one.

I would definitely take it up with Newegg or contact the manufacturer to confirm legitimacy. I found out I bought a fake memory card by contacting Sandisk and I was able to return it to Amazon for a full refund.

Aug 13, 2019
The seller was Corn on Newegg, and I'm 100 percent sure the card is a genuine rx 580. I've googled the information on the die and it matches with a full fledge rx 580 with the 2304 sp, not the rebranded 2048sp like I thought. It turns out I was really lucky, and there is a dual bios switch on the card, and when flipping the switch to other side, the card is acting a little bit more normal. If I could identify the true manufacturer of the card tho I could restore the mining bios back to the original. Identifying the card is very odd tho, because it only has 1 display port, 1 hdmi, and 1 DVI, and none of powercolor's rx 580's look like a physical match for the card.
The link for the original card is here :
https://www.newegg.com/p/27N-003A-00009
I originally ordered an rx 570, however when it came , the sticker on the back of the card said Rx 580, and i was almost sure I'd been sold a fake GPU.. but like I said when i googled the numbers on the die, it was a real rx 580. Everything from GPUZ, the device ID , the number of stream processors, TMU's, ROPS, It all matches a real rx580. It had just been flashed with a mining bios to limit clockspeed so power would be limited to maximize mining profit.
Im pretty sure they sent me this card:
https://www.newegg.com/p/27N-003A-00007

The manufacturer Corn has been known to be highly shady, and they probably bought up a bunch of these cards from a mining farm, maybe they even had a share in the profits from the farm and now get profits from reselling these cards.

Hardware unboxed has a specific video about these types of mining modded cards and he was able to restore the card to normal with a simple bios flash. At first he thought it was a fake card too, but it turned out to be real, just like mine. he called it the ATI "Praydeon" because they were preying on consumers lol Link here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogfX4awdTsc

I'm not upset I received a mining card, I AM upset it wasn't identified and advertised as such. 109 dollar RX580 is still a decent deal, but now I cant help feeling like someone has pulled a fast one on me ya know?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019
It would make sense for it be be some kind of Powercolor model, because the Red Devil usually comes with a dual bios switch like mine has, but the display connectors don't match up.
Maybe Powercolor has different models for overseas markets and I happen to have gotten one of those?? Check out the pictures on the Newegg site, and if you guys want, I'll take the card out of my computer and post images. I was planning on redoing the thermal paste again.

I redid the thermal paste the second i got the card, but the only paste I had on had was a tiny packet I had left over from one of my intel cpu purchases a few years ago. I just went to the store and picked up some Icy Diamond thermal paste , and it would be a good chance to photograph the die for you guys

Aug 13, 2019
It would make sense for it be be some kind of Powercolor model, because the Red Devil usually comes with a dual bios switch like mine has, but the display connectors don't match up.
Amd dies typically dont say much.

1350mhz is actually pretty slow for a 580, so i suggest using a reference clocked 1366mhz bios to avoid having your card unstable.

I suspect the reason I am not able to push the card much further is that the Bios is limiting power to the chip, A bios that functions normally would probably fix this. I've had the card as high as 1410 in gaming, tho its not 100 percent stable. When it comes to flashing bios, do most rx580 bioses work with most cards? Since GPUz is claiming its a powercolor card, I was thinking I'd start with a bios from one of those cards, but could you link me to the reference one?

Last edited:
Solution