Trafering old HDD to new build

jkjmbray

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
I just bought a bare bones kit and I am about to start my first computer build. I have some knowledge of computers. But my question is after the build can I take my old HDD that has windows 7 on it and copy it to the new oneor just use the old HDD in the new build. I really dont want to spend another almost 300 on Win 7 again!!!

Solution
That depends on what kind of Windows you have. If you bought Windows 7 retail, then you should be fine. If you bought an OEM copy off eBay or you are taking the drive from a brand name computer, that will not work. OEM copies do not have transfer rights, so will fail to activate if you change the hardware.

If you have any doubts, go to the control panel, and under System and Security hit the System link. All the way at the bottom will be a Product ID. Take that number, and call one of Microsoft's activation hotline call centers and they should be able to tell you if it's an OEM or retail copy of Windows.

cl-scott

Honorable
That depends on what kind of Windows you have. If you bought Windows 7 retail, then you should be fine. If you bought an OEM copy off eBay or you are taking the drive from a brand name computer, that will not work. OEM copies do not have transfer rights, so will fail to activate if you change the hardware.

If you have any doubts, go to the control panel, and under System and Security hit the System link. All the way at the bottom will be a Product ID. Take that number, and call one of Microsoft's activation hotline call centers and they should be able to tell you if it's an OEM or retail copy of Windows.

Solution