tranfer rate is much too low

G

I've tested my Harddrive using the benchmark app hd tach. Once in WindowsME and once in Win2000 but on the same computer. For some reason the transfer burst rate was only 4.2 MB/s under WindowsMe. Under Win2000 the results were as expected at 35MB/s. The CPU usage was 100% under winME and 11% under Win2000. Can anyone help me out? I have no clue about what could be wrong under WinME.

Thanks, Stefan

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I think the problem might be with your Windows ME chipset drivers and such.

We'll probably need some more info, such as your complete computer setup including motherboard / chipset, hard drive, if you've got a controller card, or one of the onboard Ata 100 or RAID controllers, etc. The more info you can give us the better...

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol:

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Id agree with that, try reinstalling/updating your 4 in 1's (or at least the ide controllers) also try enabling DMA

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

My harddrive is a quantum Fireball AS40GB and my motherboard is the GA-7ZXR from Gigabyte ( http://www1.giga-byte.com/products/7zxr_2.htm ). But I set the jumper on the board to "IDE Raid disabled" and I connected my harddrive to the IDE1 slot. I did this because I have little knowledge about Raid and ATA100. But for some reason WinMe can't identify the harddrive exactly. Under System->Diskdrives it says Generic IDE Disk Type47. In Win2000 the harddrive is identified correctly. I also installed the 4in1 pack by VIA. Is that enough info?

Thanks very much for helping me!

-Stefan

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Mine also reports a generic type 47, most of the systems ive seen also do, some however reprot the name, I shouldnt worry about it.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

dont worry about gineric type 47. in teh bios it has preset hd types 1 through 47. 47 is the user defined type. but its interesting how you getting this on ME i use ME. i would like to know more on how you got the results so that maybe i can do it and tell you what it dose for me. i also have a via chipset as much as i hate to say ata-66 older board.

Computer Shop owner and Head tech.