Transcend Has a PATA SSD For Your Aging PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I could use this for my old laptop... but how is TRIM implemented with ATA?

christoi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
At that price, a CPU, motherboard and RAM upgrade may be a better choice. Something like a G530, ASRock H61M-VS and 4GB RAM would be much better (costs ~$120).

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
This would be good for proprietary equipment that can't be removed quite yet, but more speed is desired. Mostly manufacturing control type machines, centrally controlled POS systems. Those are the machines that the person is smashing on when they take ur money at mcdonalds or some supermarket, gas station, etc... Just about any computer that has a motherboard with a ISA slot with some goofball proprietary interface card on it..... Where the owner doesn't want to tear out the whole thing just for a little burst of speed at closing time.......

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
yes this sounds a bit stupid, the same way releasing a CD burner with lightscribe in 2012 sounds stupid.
but i can imagine there being a small (yet not insignificant) market for it, and transcend is smart for seeing this.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
[citation][nom]christoi[/nom]At that price, a CPU, motherboard and RAM upgrade may be a better choice. Something like a G530, ASRock H61M-VS and 4GB RAM would be much better (costs ~$120).[/citation]
It absolutely is, except that this drive is the 2.5" format for laptops, you'll notice in the picture there's no 4pin molex connector. This is the only reason this thing would make sense since....

a regular sata interface can be adapted to pata with a cheap adapter and vice versa. like this:
http://www.meritline.com/ide-to-sata-or-sata-to-ide-adapter---p-36542.aspx
Eliminating the need for a specialized product like this.

This would only be useful for laptops, since it should carry a price premium for being a niche product, and the fact that it would physically fit in the laptop where there are space constraints.

Again bad idea. Since you'll typically be way better off just buying a new laptop, since laptops are cheap and your pata equiped laptop is practically obsolete by now, anyway.

artk2219

Distinguished
I actually remember working on a core 2 laptop that had a pata drive, I thought it was so odd until I realized the manufacturer was probably using the old stock motherboards for the core duo since they shared the same mobile socket.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I actually saw these on their site quite a while back and they are expensive. Haven't checked recently for the prices though. Building a new computer is ultimately a better route.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
no Transcend, you are not focused on what is really important... consumers don't really want new SSD's with new interfaces and such. just focus yourselves on lowering the prices!

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]christoi[/nom]At that price, a CPU, motherboard and RAM upgrade may be a better choice. Something like a G530, ASRock H61M-VS and 4GB RAM would be much better (costs ~$120).[/citation]
Perhaps people want to breathe new life into their old machines.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Not everyone can afford a new PC build, but they could afford a drive like this to hold them over even longer until an upgrade becomes absolutely necessary.

Also remember that not everything in this world is using SATA- there are plenty of Point of Sale (POS) and other hardware that still uses very tried and true hardware that has stood the test of time. This could greatly improve speeds of older hardware that would benefit from disk access read/writes but no other upgrade paths currently exist.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Joking aside that doesn't seem possible. The read/write head is not inside the floppy like in hdds so they would have to have some sort of interface that would communicate with the head. Whereas with a hdd they can just use the ata interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.