TRANSCEND HDD suddenly stopped working in USB 3.0

Jun 24, 2018
Hi there, I have a 'TRANSCEND STOREJET 2.5 INCH ANTI-SHOCK 1TB HDD' which I have had for a year now. For some reason, when I hook it up to a USB 3.0 port, it does show up in my computer, but the hdd still lights up. And for some reason it only works on USB dac-up in my PC.

It did work on USB 3.0 ports only a few weeks ago, I have used it on other computers. But same thing happened, where it did not work in the USB 3.0 port, but worked in other ones. So it seems like it might the hdd that is the problem. Any solutions to this?

Also, the said USB 3.0 ports in my PC works with other external devices like controllers.

Solution
The drive may be needing more power which is why you're able to power/run off the USB DAC-UP ports which Gigabyte claims to deliver more power than the rest+they are a stable power source as opposed to regular USB ports(2.0/3.0).

If the drive is beyond it's warranty period, you can dismantle the enclosure and hook the internal 2.5" HDD to a system with a regular SATA power and data connector to retrieve the contents. I've had some drives where they were powered by WD drives and most often then not, when they're about to fail, needed more power than usual and if fed with less power than needed, would produce a click sound when the platter would spin up.

Lutfij

Titan
The drive may be needing more power which is why you're able to power/run off the USB DAC-UP ports which Gigabyte claims to deliver more power than the rest+they are a stable power source as opposed to regular USB ports(2.0/3.0).

If the drive is beyond it's warranty period, you can dismantle the enclosure and hook the internal 2.5" HDD to a system with a regular SATA power and data connector to retrieve the contents. I've had some drives where they were powered by WD drives and most often then not, when they're about to fail, needed more power than usual and if fed with less power than needed, would produce a click sound when the platter would spin up.

Solution