Transcend Releases 32 GB DDR3 LR-DIMMs, Makes 768 GB of System RAM Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
They will cost so much that it will likely be cheaper to add more servers than to use these DIMMs, of course if you have to scale up rather than out, such as a single SQL server, you don't have much of a choice.

that is preposterous and awesome at the same time... someone needs to make a giant ram-drive, install a full benchmark suite on it along with various OS's and benchmark them lol

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]I think it's still safe to see 16 million TB as a long ways off in the future.....[/citation]
My thoughts too...

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]iknowhowtofixit[/nom]"[768GB] is more memory than anyone will ever need on a computer"[/citation]
i've heard that before, people used to say that when windows 98 was around " oh you'll never need more that 512MB of memory"
i heard it before that even with windows 95 " oh you'll never need more than 128MB of memory, why you have that much is just ridiculous"
guess who was hosting all the Starcraft and Total Annhilation games and other Unit based RTS's?

ya everybody else only had quadruple the MINIMUM system requirements of 4MB for windows 95 & 16MB for windows 98.

i can see the need for 768GB of ram right now in just photo and video editing let alone a game of ThermoNuclear War.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
its quite possible that in 20 years, computers as we know them will be so different, than an OS wont mean much of anything.

The clouds are rolling in...

mchawk

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
While this is a cool tech, its nowhere new. Dell has been seeling its 12th generation of server with these modules (32 GB of RAM in a single module, LRDIMM), for over half a year now...

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
I think iknowhowtofixit : was JK... but maybe not lol. 768G ram drive.... yeh right now yer cookin with oil vmem! Although I believe there is software to turn ram into Ramdrive just haven't ck'd now that I got 32Gam with OCZ Vertex 4

webdawg77

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Agreed... even if this max limit of RAM (768GB) doubles every year, it's still 20 years before 64-bit will be obsolete...[/citation]

And with the 128bit OS (if it ever gets here), the maximum would then be 256 (whichever prefix comes into being that is 4 orders of magnitude higher than Yotta) bytes.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Exabyte type systems are possible today in desktop/laptop form factor... the real problem is that it will take time for the market to actually adopt it (and even when it does, it will probably 'cost' too much money, even though the manufacturers will probably be making them for next to nothing - 'cost efficiency' at its finest - has nothing to do with technological ability to make something in abundance with high technological efficiency and minimum expenditure of resources, but more to do with companies spending the least amount of money possible while earning the most).

Still, even in this day and age, as technology is becoming ever so cheaper, we might see accelerated adoption and much larger leaps (though I somehow doubt it because it would mean potential losses in terms of monetary gain because its more profitable to milk existing outdated technologies and revise the heck out of them instead of releasing the best of what we are capable of - which would actually translate to 60-100 years more advanced technology realistically, if we were to use our latest scientific knowledge which can be applied in practice - but Capitalism never does that).

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
I personally only care about power consumption from such high density modules. If they can get 32GB DIMM to use the same power or lower (

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
So which motherboards support this stuff? I am planning a socket 2011 hex core upgrade soon and 128gb or ram would be nice, but I am sure it would require a bios update. I don't want to be stuck with yesterdays 64gb limit.

[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]i've heard that before, people used to say that when windows 98 was around " oh you'll never need more that 512MB of memory" i heard it before that even with windows 95 " oh you'll never need more than 128MB of memory, why you have that much is just ridiculous" guess who was hosting all the Starcraft and Total Annhilation games and other Unit based RTS's?ya everybody else only had quadruple the MINIMUM system requirements of 4MB for windows 95 & 16MB for windows 98.i can see the need for 768GB of ram right now in just photo and video editing let alone a game of ThermoNuclear War.[/citation]

windows 95 with 128 of ram?????? Where did you work? You didn't have that at home did you?

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]Now this is the kind of hardware that would make for a good review, Tom's.[/citation]
It's also the kind of hardware that Tom's can't realistically review because this type of system doesn't really exist yet, not to mention that this amount of ram would not be given to a site to benchmark. Windows 7 supports max of 192 GB, windows 8 is 512 max.

[citation][nom]adgjlsfhk[/nom]It's also the kind of hardware that Tom's can't realistically review because this type of system doesn't really exist yet, not to mention that this amount of ram would not be given to a site to benchmark. Windows 7 supports max of 192 GB, windows 8 is 512 max.[/citation]

Server systems with up to 2TiB per system have been around for months if not a year or two. Tom's has benched servers before and systems like this do exist, so Tom's very well could bench this memory. Why we'd do that since being high capacity makes no difference in the performance of the memory itself is a better question to ask.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]So which motherboards support this stuff? I am planning a socket 2011 hex core upgrade soon and 128gb or ram would be nice, but I am sure it would require a bios update. I don't want to be stuck with yesterdays 64gb limit.[/citation]

MSI's Big Bang II supports 128gb of Ram and has room for 8 dimms. I only have 32 (4x8gb) in there right now but I like knowing that when 16gb dimms are priced right I can make a kick ass ramdisk.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
[citation][nom]bunz_of_steel[/nom]I think iknowhowtofixit : was JK... but maybe not lol. 768G ram drive.... yeh right now yer cookin with oil vmem! Although I believe there is software to turn ram into Ramdrive just haven't ck'd now that I got 32Gam with OCZ Vertex 4[/citation]

DataRam Ramdisk is the best Ramdisk software I have found, the others I have tried were too buggy. Even Dataram's offering can have its quirks, but haven't gotten a bluescreen since I figured out how to set it up right.

I've yet to find any bugs at all with IM DISK driver, but it's also extremely basic in feature support beyond just making RAM drives. It'll let you make any size RAM drive you want for free and has a few other nice functions, but it's got nothing on the paid for (even if more buggy) RAM drive suits.

Status
Not open for further replies.