Transfer data from M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD...despite bad laptop motherboard

wx

Sep 7, 2018
It appears my motherboard may be hosed. (Laptop won't power on, despite power cycling, battery swap, cable swap, etc.) Fortunately, it's still covered under Costco's concierge service.

The problem: I'll probably get the laptop back from the service center with the hard drive wiped, so I need to back up the data that's not already backed up. Suggestions for the best way to do that?

The only real idea I've had so far was to pull the SSD from the laptop, put it in an enclosure, and plug the enclosure into an old laptop, doing the transfer from there. But I only found one compatible enclosure at Amazon (here), and it's nearly $60, which seems like a rip-off.

Any ideas?

wx

Sep 7, 2018

USAFRet, I'm not sure I follow what you're saying yet. Maybe that enclosures of this kind are junk?

Thanks for the link fix! I've fixed it now in the original, too.

USAFRet

Titan

No, not junk. Just that those are actually brand new. Even just a very few months ago, they did not exist.

wx

Sep 7, 2018

Ah, it hadn't occurred to me they might not need the drive--I'd just assumed they would need it to rule it out as a source of trouble. I'll contact them to find out.

wx

Sep 7, 2018

Ha, got it, thanks. By "ground" I thought maybe you were talking about electricity!

TRENDING THREADS