Question Transfer save data from a broken 3DS Cartridge

Mar 30, 2022
A couple years ago my dog chewed up one of my 3DS cartridge saves. I've taken the cartridge out, and from what I can tell the damage was done to the transistors/electronic part of the cartridge; the chip in the middle which i presume keeps all the save data remains perfectly intact. If I were to buy another copy of the same game, would it be possible to take the chip out of the old cartridge and put it into the new one and keep the save data?

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
A couple years ago my dog chewed up one of my 3DS cartridge saves. I've taken the cartridge out, and from what I can tell the damage was done to the transistors/electronic part of the cartridge; the chip in the middle which i presume keeps all the save data remains perfectly intact. If I were to buy another copy of the same game, would it be possible to take the chip out of the old cartridge and put it into the new one and keep the save data?

Yes and no. If you have soldering skills that can seal the plastic cases of the chip(which good luck to that) it can work.

But once the case is cracked you have destroyed the cart itself as it is impossible to seal the plastic back to it because the console requires the plastic to remain under the lock at the bottom of the cart.

Honestly speaking, you should have just modded the console so you could have backed your save to the sd card. Not sure if this is something I should say or advice, but considering that you are attempting modding, the concept is identical.