[SOLVED] Transfer SSD with Data Only to New Computer

RandyM222

Honorable
Jan 17, 2016
Hello All,

I am in the process of purchasing a new computer, My question is in regards to the relatively new SSD and M.2 Drives I have that contain Data. I would like to reuse these as they are rather new. Is the process as simple as just installing and restarting to recognize them? If so I suppose I should do one at a time and then assign the drive letters I prefer. For instance, I have one drive that contains most of my Xplane Scenery that I create symbolic links. I prefer to do this rather than the time-consuming process of redownloading. Since these are rather new drives I know they quite a bit of life left.

Thanks to those who respond to the question, and do not give their opinion about why I should or not consider this.

Solution
Yes, you can generally take the drive out of one computer and put it into another without needing to do anything, as long as the computer can use the storage drive.

The only issue is if the drive you're moving is a boot drive. In the event you want to clean it up, it can be an exercise in frustration because Windows is really protective about touching files marked as system files, even if it's not the ones it's currently using.
Yes, you can generally take the drive out of one computer and put it into another without needing to do anything, as long as the computer can use the storage drive.

The only issue is if the drive you're moving is a boot drive. In the event you want to clean it up, it can be an exercise in frustration because Windows is really protective about touching files marked as system files, even if it's not the ones it's currently using.

Solution

RandyM222

Honorable
Jan 17, 2016
Thank You very much!!! I was rather certain I could do so, just wanted to be positive this would be fine. My only other uncertainty, if you can answer is... Once placing the SSD and Possibly an M.2 that both have just data, will windows recognize them, or might I have to go into the Bios?

USAFRet

Titan
Please show us a screencap of the currently running Disk Management window.
Possibly this secondary drive contains the boot partition, which would render the old system non bootable (without some rework).

But moving a secondary drive is usually no problem.

The symlinks, however...the new OS in the new PC knows nothing about these. You'd have to recreate manually.