[SOLVED] Transfering RAID array

ryasis

Reputable
Dec 18, 2017
I currently have 6 drives in a raid 1 array on my desktop which runs a plex server. I will be buying a WD-PR4100, and I am curious about transferring the RAID array from desktop, which will be consolidated down to 4, to the new PR-4100 with all my media on it. Is there a way to keep and directly move and will it be recognized?

I used Windows Storage Space to build and manage the array on my desktop. At this time I am unfamiliar with the PR-4100 architecture but would like to know what I am looking at before I get neck-deep into it.

Solution
No sorry, I have 6 drives set in a RAID 0 array. I always get 1 and 0 confused.

Ah gotcha. Yea hope you have a good backup though! One drive goes and you lose everything!

But yea either having a single drive that can backup all of the data first, then transfer it later, or you have to run both at the same time and copy the data over.

Keep in mind I don't think you can expand volumes on it, meaning if you do another RAID 0 with say only 2 drives, i don't think you can add another drive and expand onto that. May have to make a different raid or have it standalone. if you can I would either do a RAID 5 or if you have the space a RAID 10 if you don't have any good backups. I have 9 drives, with some in a RAID 0, but most are...

kanewolf

Titan
I currently have 6 drives in a raid 1 array on my desktop which runs a plex server. I will be buying a WD-PR4100, and I am curious about transferring the RAID array from desktop, which will be consolidated down to 4, to the new PR-4100 with all my media on it. Is there a way to keep and directly move and will it be recognized?

I used Windows Storage Space to build and manage the array on my desktop. At this time I am unfamiliar with the PR-4100 architecture but would like to know what I am looking at before I get neck-deep into it.
I haven't used that particular NAS, but if it is like the Synology I have, it will format the drives when installed because the NAS keeps a copy of it's OS on the drives.
NAS units generally use Linux file systems. That is not what you would have from a Windows box.
I believe you CAN'T move your disks with the data intact.

ryasis

Reputable
Dec 18, 2017
You are going to have to setup both at the same time, and copy the files over via a share. Most NAS have a separate onboard storage for the OS. And I'm assuming you meant to say to have 6 drives in 3 raid 1's lol

Ah gotcha. Yea hope you have a good backup though! One drive goes and you lose everything!

But yea either having a single drive that can backup all of the data first, then transfer it later, or you have to run both at the same time and copy the data over.

Keep in mind I don't think you can expand volumes on it, meaning if you do another RAID 0 with say only 2 drives, i don't think you can add another drive and expand onto that. May have to make a different raid or have it standalone. if you can I would either do a RAID 5 or if you have the space a RAID 10 if you don't have any good backups. I have 9 drives, with some in a RAID 0, but most are standalone (4TB drives). I have backups of everything tho and my important stuff is also on my google drive so that I always have access to it.

Solution